iMac 27 (2011) 2xSSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crashdummy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. crashdummy macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning to upgrade my HDD to 2 SSD.
    Was wondering can I replace the 3.5" HDD with 2 SSD mounted in one of the SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter?

Has anyone tried this?

Thank!

2. Jim L macrumors regular

I just replaced the HD in my 2011 21.5" with a single SSD.

I used the Silverstone adapter you mentioned. It does indeed have space for 2 SSDs.

However, 1 thing you'll need to consider is that you will have to remove the main logic board to access the SATA connectors in back. You'll need to replace them with the special SATA connectors from OWC that incorporate an additional temperature sensor. You'll need 2 of these and an additional SATA power cable. I was able to do it, but it was more involved than I really wanted to get into. But in the end, having an SSD is truly worth it. 2 would be phenomenal! Are you planning to configure them in a RAID and what size SSDs are you thinking? Be prepared to drop some serious cash when you do.

3. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I would like to upgrade 2013 iMac 27" from HDD to 2xSSD. I originally wanted to just use a single Crucial 960GB M500, but it's no longer available. So, the next best option is to use 2xSSD.

Which available SSD would you recommend for 2xSSD? Will the performance be better than the single M500?

4. Jim L macrumors regular

For better performance, you would want to configure them as a RAID 0 set of drives rather than just separate volumes.

This other thread explains how to create the RAID 0 in software on your Mac, as well as do the actual install.

Do you want to keep the HD and add 2 SSDs?

5. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Jim, thanks for your response. I just read your thread about the problems you had. Glad to hear you found a solution.

Like you, I want to remove the HD. I will most likely have an AASP do the install. I have no interest in attempting it.

----------

Actually, I was just reading about what a liability RAID 0 is, so I think I will probably nix any RAID 0 plans...

I need as reliable a machine as I can get...