iMac 27" 2011, Acting Weird. Please Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bullseyetech, Jul 23, 2011.

1. bullseyetech macrumors member

bullseyetech

I don't know why it's happening but whenever I try to play a video file whether be it on Youtube or iTunes, the whole computer freezes and produces the picture below. Any advice?
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

2. glennsan macrumors regular

Any other things going wrong that you are aware of or is this it? Because it is more then one program affected I am not certain if it is hardware or software. Can you open pictures in iPhoto?

Glennsan

3. bullseyetech thread starter macrumors member

bullseyetech

HI,
    Thanks for the quick reply mate, I can open iPhoto and it's pictures but sometimes the scroll bar at the bottom in iPhoto 11 doesn't display other images in the same album. Not sure if that is also the same problem but something I noticed

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Looks like gpu is wrong. Hve u tried gaming on windows bootcamp? Try do something intensive with your gpu and see if that freeze iMac

5. fredou, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

fredou macrumors newbie

Hey! I've just updated to Lion this week on my imac 27 2011 and here I have the same thing as the OP in Itunes. The screen is frozen, however, the sound keep playing. This is the second time it does happen.

Edit: I think maybe it was because the video was on an External HDD and it was not completely waken up when itunes tried to play. This might explain why it does work sometimes, and not some other. I will try for the next couples of days without any video on any external HDD to see if this glitch would happen again.

Attached Files:

6. glennsan macrumors regular

iMac Graphics Messed up

Did you just update to Lion like another poster did? If that is the case I would call AppleCare for their recommendation.

Glennsan

7. bullseyetech thread starter macrumors member

bullseyetech

I have all the videos on my internal and still happening so not sure what's going on

8. bullseyetech thread starter macrumors member

bullseyetech

Yes I did and will do. Thanks for the replying mate, appreciate it

9. fredou macrumors newbie

One thing for sure it's not relate to GPU in any sort, because when I do benchmark with OpenMark, it does make the GPU working to the extreme during around 10 minutes and give me a score with no problem.

And when it does freeze, it happen at the beginning of the video. 0-2 sec.

10. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I've had some video issues with Lion on my 27", but it's to do with the 30" display. Hope 10.7.1 will stabilize. Every time I tell myself to wait for the .1 but I never do...

11. IeU macrumors member

Funny, i have been running Lion for two weeks and for the first time, yesterday and today, my Mac'27 (which i own for 2 months already) completely froze for the first time . . .

Froze the way that i had to do restart (hold power button).

Froze when i started playing a video on youtube (Chrome) . . .

Thou i did not get this pink display. I could move my mouse, but nothing reacts, hovering over the dock, the icons would not zoom, pressing a shortcut would do nothing and waiting for 15 minutes did not bring the mac back. So i had to do a restart (hold power button)

Is there a crash log in Mac, so that i can investigate what really happened . . . ?

12. Razdom macrumors member

This is a big problem with (2011?) iMacs and Lion at the moment, it seems to only happen after the Mac is woken from sleep. I too am suffering from this, but I am not getting the pink screen like the OP. Check out this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194165?start=0&tstart=0