IMac 27" 2011 completely died!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Domse89, May 13, 2016.

1. Domse89 macrumors newbie

Domse89

Hello there fellow mac users!
    My 27" iMac from 2011 completely died a few days ago and I'm in desperate need of help.

I was playing a game to kill some time and suddenly the whole imac turned off. no image, no sound, just like if one had cut the power.
    Tried to start it up again, nothing. Not a single noise or image. Completely dead.
    Tried differend power outlets, still nothing.
    After reading around the web i came to the conclusion to order a new power supply. It arrived to day and I installed it, but still my beloved iMac shows no signs of life!
    Tried switching around the ram-modules (4x4gb) but nothing.
    Only reaction from the system is when I disconnect the power, hold down the start-button, then connect the power. The fans start running and full blast, but no image and nothing else.

I checked the little diagnose led's on the logic board to find only the first one lighting up.

Does anyone have any clues?
    I'm desperate to get it working again since I've got important work files on there.

I've got the Intel i7 in it, 4x4gb of ram, and the 6970M Graphicscard with 1Tb!

PS.: Back in winter I installed a Samsung SSD 850, but the system has been working like a charm till now!

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

sounds like a motherboard failure, like you had a powersurge if the new power supply gives power but the compter does not turn on and chime.

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502

4. Domse89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Domse89

Yes, i tried all sorts of resets, but some are hard to do when the system doesn't even power up.

Damn, mainboard failure would suck, just looked it up, these things are damn expensive! :(

5. HealthyFruitSalads macrumors newbie

Either buy a new logic board or just cut your losses and upgrade you iMac instead.

6. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Reliability has not been Apple's forte over the years. I hope you do not have to shell out for a motherboard. Else, upgrade to a new iMac (since some forumers will tell you that you get 5 long years of loving service from the iMac and neither the iMac nor Apple's quality standards is to blame) or change to a PC, where these failures will happen but hey, you could replace the motherboard at a cheaper price.

7. off_piste macrumors 6502a

My next computer after my 2011 dies will be a Hackintosh.

8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

That might be a world of pain...pain that is greater than using Windows. Attraction to Apple is proving fatal nowadays...to my time and wallet :)

9. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Its a laptop that lasted 4 years, playing games. Considering all electronics have a 5 year or less usability lifespan, its less Apple fault and more electronic component issue. That and with solder being lead free the stress from heat to cool, over and over destroys computers faster than anything. Turning on fan utilities to come on way earlier and stay on way longer helps a lot.

10. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Hmmm... my late 2009 2.8 GHz i7 iMac is still working flawlessly. I maxed out the RAM to 16GB, changed out the HD to SSD, took out the CD and replaced it with another 2.5" HD and couldn't be happier. It has survived many power outages (without any surge protection) and transport from the US to Hong Kong (where it spent 5 years) and again to Bangkok Thailand and I can still see many more years of faithful service. (I do have the latest top-of-the-line retina iMac as well).

11. off_piste macrumors 6502a

It will run both.