iMac 27" 2011 SSD DIY

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freshe, May 8, 2013.

1. freshe macrumors regular

Hi all,

Kind of decided to do a DIY on my imac. Too pricey to send it to dealer (with their dumb SSD prices etc.).

So I've checked this one out:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other+World+Computing/DIYIM27SSD11/

which looks scary but is doable and let me keep the optical drive in.

Do you know any other ways/tutorials of installing an ssd in an 2011 27 imac?
    I think you could also have some kind of external mount for the ssd drive - true or false ?
    Last - if you put a slim bluray in the imac will it work ? I presume they the same size as the optical drive thats already there.

cheers

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if you've opened up computers before...this shouldnt be too challenging.
    i think the fact its all in one and the process is time consuming gets the better of some.

set aside a couple of hours, and take your time, its not too difficult to be honest. i'd get a large ESD/Anti-static bag to put the display and glass in so they don't built up static electricity and get much dust on them.
    just tape back the small cables and maybe use a finetip marker to label them.

you should be set.

the blu-ray player will work, VLC should be able to play the Blu-rays havent personally tried but the OWC site may have suggested applications or set-up.

3. macthefork, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

I did exactly that, using OWCs SSD (Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, 240GB), tool kit, and video installation guide. It's not too difficult. Mainly, be patient, and gentle. Take your time. Some of the plugs didn't disconnect as easily as shown in the video. But, by using the spudger and not forcing anything, they disconnected just fine. Double check everything as you put it back together.

I put the video on a laptop and stopped it at each step as I removed the imac display and installed the SSD, and reassembled it all. Kept using the original Optical drive, and kept the original HDD. I formatted the SSD prior to installing it by putting into a Seagate Thunderbolt dock, but I guess that's not necessary.

I'm real happy with the results on my 2011 27" imac. I put Mountain Lion and everything on the SSD (total usage 140GB). Using the original HDD for storage. I did not create a fusion drive. From pushing the button to start it, to fully loaded OS is about 7 to 8 seconds. Loading Apps is faster. Anything that uses disk cache is faster.

4. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Did you try the SSD first before opening and imac ?

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Yes... I edited my post as you were responding. I did place it in an external Thunderbolt Seagate dock to test it and format it. But I don't believe that's necessary. Any external SATA case would do, though. Even USB 2, just to test it, if you choose.

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

7. paul-n macrumors regular

I updated the iMac from a friend, it was pretty helpful having an extra hand while detaching and attaching all the cables to the display.
    We use a high-pressure spray to get rid of all dust from the display and the glass.

8. SilverOath macrumors member

I'll thumbs up the "if you have basic computer comp experience you can do it." It wasn't hard - but patience was key. I just set up a computer with a youtube how to do it and worked side by side.

I didn't buy the kit. I got the Cable off Amazon for ~$10 with shipping, and bought a huge roll of double sided padded tape for like $2 at a local electronics store. You really only needed two screw drivers, which the kits give you, but for like ~$5-10 you can get a whole set from a local hardware supply to work on what ever electronics in the future. If's another $20 you can save if that matters to you, and you'll have extra tape, tools for future kits. The only tricky part was the cable since it's so unique and only available online.

Good luck with your endeavor!

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Do you have a link to the cable that you bought off Amazon by any chance?