iMac 27" 2012: Greenish tint in grey areas

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fluidphreak, Jan 17, 2013.

1. fluidphreak macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got my new iMac 27" 2012 and the display is a bit... disappointing. Pure white looks good, but grey areas have a greenish tint. This is especially noticeable on the Apple homepage: the four panels at the bottom are pure grey on my 2010 27" iMac, but here they are clearly a different tint than the white background.

Attached is an example photo, hopefully it's clear enough. I already tried calibrating the display but it doesn't help.

Does anyone else have this problem? Trying to find out if all new iMacs have this before I try to get mine replaced. :)

Thanks!
    Frederik

Attached Files:

2. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Now I thought my s3 was bad, from an angle sometimes it is like I see how the Hulk sees. When did you purchase your iMac? Maybe early batch problems, the iMacs that I have interigated in the Apple stores do not have this as far as I could tell under store lighting.

3. fluidphreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordered it end of December via the online Apple store, and it just arrived yesterday. I went to the local Apple store to check out some other new 27" iMacs displays. Two out of three had the same problem, one was fine. The 21.5" ones didn't seem to have the problem, but I only looked at them briefly.

White looks OK, it's just grey areas (especially light grey) that have a beige/greenish tint. In the screen shot this is clearly visible: the square tiles on the Apple home page have a different hue than the white background. For me it's unacceptable as I'm doing graphics design work, so this unit needs to be replaced. Sigh...

Would be interesting to know if anyone else sees these problems as well.

Cheers,
    Frederik

4. Chuckstones macrumors regular

I really think you are worrying about nothing!!
    I know what you mean about the grey areas as mine is exactly the same

My ipad, iPhone and mac are all different in the grey areas. But if you have a uniform screen ( no yellow tinting etc) and the whites are good. I would be happy!
    I am on my 3rd mac now after having far worse screen problems. And I'm certainly not going to worry about a bit of green tint in the grey areas as the screen is perfect !!

5. emsworthboy macrumors member

It's a shame calibration does not help. Given you are using it for graphic design, colour is important and if you cannot match Pantone colours you will have big issues. I would ask for an exchange. :apple:

6. fluidphreak thread starter macrumors newbie

A new unit is on its way... hopefully with a better screen. Yes, perhaps I should have been happy with this one but it's just not what I expect on a $3500 computer (went for the 768 GB SSD option)...

7. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Should be as good as the 21 inch screen really. Did you go for the 680mx as well. I went for the 675mx, do alot of graphics and 3D work and as per usual I can't but think about the better hardware. As long as it can keep up with my old quadro I will be happy.