iMac 27" 2012 SSD upgrade Thermal sensor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gumpek, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Gumpek macrumors newbie

Hi I'm going to put a SSD in my iMac 27" Late 2012. A local AASP is going to do it for me. They are going to do it for free because my LCD is being replaced also.

My question is do I need to buy a thermal sensor or not? OWC sells sensor for the 2012 model: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/

Do I need this? I know the older iMacs had the fan speed problems but my iMac has only one big fan for the CPU and GPU. So a higher RPM wouldn't do anything for the HDD temp. Or does the iMac increase fan speed because it can't read the temp of the drive?

I know you can get an app to set the fan speed and I use it already. My main question is if I need this sensor? I'm not from the US but from Europe and the sensor costs twice that much over here. What are pros/cons of buying this sensor?

I hope someone can answer my question :D

2. jseq macrumors newbie

Would like to know about this too. Did you already installed it?

3. stuartak macrumors member

stuartak

You do not need a separate thermal sensor for the 2012 model when fitting an ssd as long as you do not remove theHDD . The HDD temperature is measured through the SMART protocol and this is used to regulate the fan , along with the CPU temp sensor.

4. jseq macrumors newbie

Is there a way to fit the SSD and the HD together? My plan was to take out the HD and use it externaly via USB!