Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gumpek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2016
Hi I'm going to put a SSD in my iMac 27" Late 2012. A local AASP is going to do it for me. They are going to do it for free because my LCD is being replaced also.

My question is do I need to buy a thermal sensor or not? OWC sells sensor for the 2012 model: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/

Do I need this? I know the older iMacs had the fan speed problems but my iMac has only one big fan for the CPU and GPU. So a higher RPM wouldn't do anything for the HDD temp. Or does the iMac increase fan speed because it can't read the temp of the drive?

I know you can get an app to set the fan speed and I use it already. My main question is if I need this sensor? I'm not from the US but from Europe and the sensor costs twice that much over here. What are pros/cons of buying this sensor?

I hope someone can answer my question :D

stuartak

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2016
Hi I'm going to put a SSD in my iMac 27" Late 2012. A local AASP is going to do it for me. They are going to do it for free because my LCD is being replaced also.

My question is do I need to buy a thermal sensor or not? OWC sells sensor for the 2012 model: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/

Do I need this? I know the older iMacs had the fan speed problems but my iMac has only one big fan for the CPU and GPU. So a higher RPM wouldn't do anything for the HDD temp. Or does the iMac increase fan speed because it can't read the temp of the drive?

I know you can get an app to set the fan speed and I use it already. My main question is if I need this sensor? I'm not from the US but from Europe and the sensor costs twice that much over here. What are pros/cons of buying this sensor?

I hope someone can answer my question :D
You do not need a separate thermal sensor for the 2012 model when fitting an ssd as long as you do not remove theHDD . The HDD temperature is measured through the SMART protocol and this is used to regulate the fan , along with the CPU temp sensor.

jseq

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
Portugal
Is there a way to fit the SSD and the HD together? My plan was to take out the HD and use it externaly via USB!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.