iMac 27" 2014 Won't Power On

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xavier, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Xavier macrumors 68020

I bought a brand new iMac 27" in late April of this year and yesterday it would not power on. I used it in the morning that day before work and when I got home I noticed that it would not power on. Nothing on the screen. Fans don't start. Just dead. To my knowledge, there was no power outage, but I wasn't home so I cannot know for sure.

I tried resetting SMC which did nothing. Has anyone else run into problems with their 2014 iMac's? I'm trying to see if there is a common defect in these machines or if I'm just one of the lucky ones. My thought is that the power supply failed.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not noticed any pattern on the forums of these failing like this. It does sound like a bad power supply like you said. Looks like it is off to the Apple Store for some warranty work for you.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

What Weaselboy said, take it to the Apple Store, and if it was a hardware failure, they will fix it at no cost. It probably is a dead power supply.

4. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

I did some searching and couldn't find anyone else with a problem similar to this. My appointment is set for today.

5. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Sorry this may be stating the obvious, but did you try plugging the unit into another outlet, or test something in the current outlet to ensure there is not an issue with your electrical outlet you have it plugged into?

6. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

Yep. Tried in 3 different outlets in 2 different rooms in the house. Also tried a different iMac power cord in case that had failed. No luck.

7. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Too bad that sucks, obviously something with the power supply. Well good luck with your appt.

8. Xavier, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

For those that may be interested, or maybe just for the archive:

This ended up being a failed logic board and not a failed power supply. Hopefully this wasn't a defect in the machine that others might encounter. Apple's turn around time was pretty quick at 3 days as the parts were not in store and needed to be shipped.