iMac 27"/21" or MacBook pro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZarieoZ, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ZarieoZ, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

ZarieoZ macrumors newbie

Hello

I'm in the market for an apple computer. I would really appreciate any advice.
    I planned & was saving for an iMac 27", 2.93GHz quadcore processor,*8GB ram.
    Or a Macbook 15"+ Apple LED (highest processor available & 8GB ram).

I have a toshiba satellite laptop (no portability problem). It have been with me for 4 years & it started annoying me *a month ago, especially Photoshop and iTunes. I also have an iPad.So, I decided to begin with the iMac for now and purchase the MacBook after 2 years.

Is it a good plan to get the iMac first??? Is 27" too much???
    Since it really cost a fortune here in Egypt, people say that purchasing an expensive computer wouldn't make it easy to change it if the technology got better in a couple of years. But that wouldn't change my decision, I want an Apple computer and I can't see myself replacing it.:apple:

I never made such an important decision. I would really appreciate your advice. I would use it in heavy internet browsing, extencive*Photoshop,3d max,maybe other programs in the future.

Sorry that you had to read all that, I know you've been asked this question many times but none of the other posts helped me make my decision.

Thank you

2. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iMac is a great machine and the 27" inch with quad-core CPU is really powerful to handle all the demanding applications like Photoshop, Maya, etc. You'll be much better off with iMac than MBP if you don't need portability. Also you can't get a MBP thats as powerful iMac quad-core even if its maxed out. And its more expensive than iMac. And iPad will go much better with iMac than MBP. 27" inch screen isn't too large, IMO its the perfect size for editing, browsing, etc...

3. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. iMac 27" was my decision in the 1st place ( knowing from reviews that it is more powerful than the macbook pro) until some non Mac users started to give me advices, I didn't change my mind though. I just want you to keep in mind that one day I would need to change my laptop with another one, so the MacBook pro couldn't be replaced with my iPad, I will have to get it one day. But I think I will begin with the iMac as you previously told me. I'm convinced with the 27" but worried too
    http://www.google.com.eg/imgres?img...ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:28&biw=980&bih=1208

4. ZarieoZ thread starter macrumors newbie