Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jho288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
I have the iMac 27" 3.06GHz and was on Snow Leopard. Was amazingly snappy and fast but I wanted more.

Upgraded RAM to 16GB and soon the 1TB filled up and was slowing me down.

I took out the optical drive and installed a Runcore 240GB 2.5" SSD with a Caddy holding the drive using the optical bay's connection (with an adapter of course)

Replaced the 1TB with a WD 2TB Black Caviar as my Data drive.

Freshly installed OSX Lion on the 240GB SSD and then moved the Users document folders linked to the 2TB drive. Apps are installed on the 240GB SSD and Trim support is switched "on". Ran fine (but not super fast like it should) for awhile but now after some usage, it slows down to the point where typing letters takes about 10 seconds to come out, spining wheel appears virtually everywhere, Flash pages loadings are extremely laggy.

I am a photographer and use Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS5 and a load of other graphic applications. They run quite slow after about 1 hr of usage and then to the point where it's unbearable.

Usually speeds back up after reboot, but then super slow again after some usage.

I believe it has something to do with the Fans that after SSD installtions, causes them to run constantly, so the iMac is constantly cool around 36 degrees and hottest at 41 degrees.

Done Repaired permissions, rebooted to safe mode and have plenty of hd space. Updated everything and OSX 10.7.2

Any ideas how to speed it back up?

Thanks

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Sounds like you could have a bad SSD. I have heard similar stories from the Windows community using SSD's that were about to die. Some needed firmware upgrades while others were simply faulty hardware.

jho288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Sounds like you could have a bad SSD. I have heard similar stories from the Windows community using SSD's that were about to die. Some needed firmware upgrades while others were simply faulty hardware.

Hi there,

I tried changing SSD's already because I import SSDs and have many to try. Even similar effects on the OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA3

Anymore ideas?

Thanks everyone.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Can you bench the drive with Xbench HD test? Both Drives? Did you link your home folder with alias' or in the Advanced section of system prefs account section? Are all the SSD's you have available Sandforce based? Apple hardware test might find something. Your host controller or SATA cable could be messed up. So many possibilities. Have you move the SSD to the main host connector instead of the DVD tray? Have you omitted the adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.