iMac 27" and 27" Cinema Display Colour Difference

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Josh Kahane, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I have a 27" iMac and now a 27" Cinema Display (MDP model). I never saw any issue with my iMacs display, however upon receiving my 27" Cinema Display and popping them side by side, I see a difference, the colour.

My iMac seems to have a more vivd and warm tone, whereas the cinema display has a more neutral and cooler tone in comparison.

I really don't know what to do, its really frustrating, the colour difference, I don't want to lug my iMac and cinema display to my Apple Store, its too much and too far!

Is there anyway I can digitally get proof of the colour difference? To either show you guys, or show someone in the Apple Store (or Apple support)?

I am using the same colour profile on each monitor, Adobe RGB 1998, same wallpaper (to see colour difference clearly) and both same brightness level.

Hope you can help, thanks.

2. TennisandMusic

I think this is a known difference between the two. The review from way back on Anandtech discusses this very difference as well, and it matches with your impressions. The cinema display has a cooler white point.

You can try calibrating both of them with an actual calibration tool. Outside of that, replacing either certainly won't "correct" the problem.

3. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, well Im glad its a known issue. Any recommendations on calibration? Will I need an actual calibration device? I have no experience, or really understand what difference it makes over software calibration.

Anyone experienced this and managed to over come it?

4. boraxatude macrumors member

Colorimeter

Although I haven't tried to match an iMac with a cinema display, I do use, on a regular basis the X-Rite i1Display 2 Colorimeter. (that link is to the most inexpensive one I saw after a quick search).

You may not be able to get them exact, but they will be pretty darn close. You will have to go through the 10 minute process every few weeks as monitors will drift.