iMac 27" as a PC Monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LeicaMan111, Feb 9, 2013.

1. LeicaMan111 macrumors member

Is it possible to use the latest iMac 27" as a monitor for a PC?

I would be great if I could also hook up my PC to it!

Thanks.

2. benjaminfoden macrumors member

I do not think this is the answer you were looking for.

Unfortunately it is not possible to use an iMac as a PC Monitor, even if the PC supports Thunderbolt. The iMac can only be used in this way by another macintosh computer such as a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro (Target Display Mode). Very few PCs support Thunderbolt anyway and I don't think anyone has found a way to force this to work.

The lack of this functionality seems to be a bit of an oversight by Apple, however you have to remember that when buying Apple Computers they want you to buy their equipment and do not see the need for you to own a PC or something which may want to use the display other than the iMac itself or an Apple Laptop.

This is to the best of my knowledge, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. vooblu macrumors member

4. Mac32 macrumors 65816

The really annoying this is that you can use the thunderbolt display as a PC monitor, so why not the iMac? People need to complain directly to Apple, as this could be an oversight that's fixable with a firmware update.

5. LeicaMan111 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yes I read the whole thread. Silly of me not to search first. Apologies...

Yes it seems that the iMac 21 and 27 both will work fine as an external monitor BUT only for other Macs. Oh well :(

6. benjaminfoden macrumors member

You would've thought so! I can't see Apple doing it anytime soon though unfortunately...

7. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Well, if enough people complain they might fix it. Send a complaint, as I did.. It might be an oversight.

8. benjaminfoden macrumors member

I shall, when I finally get my 27" iMac and it affects me... I don't have any non-Apple machines anyway so I am currently fine.