Imac 27" backlight bleed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aagaard2703, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Aagaard2703 macrumors member

Aagaard2703

Is this normal on 50% brightness its bot that bad as it looks, i dont look on a black screen all day but watching movie this is frustrating.... I dont see this in any games or on a normal basis but its there.... My question is, is this normal ? :)

Attached Files:

2. arncalars macrumors member

It is hard to judge from a picture.
    Have you tried testing the screen with apps designed for the purpose.

If you set the brightness to auto and take a picture without flash light, I don't think it is much different to mine :)

If you look for faults and need to see them - you will see them.

3. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

True that my friend, i think its just me... Its a wonderful display though, its something i can accept. I don't think another display will be much different.

Thanks for the reply Lars :)

4. CCerta112 macrumors newbie

Could you take another picture of it from a little further away?
    If it is the normal amount it should be less visible from further away ;)

5. ventuss macrumors 6502

You need to see if those are IPS Glow or backlight bleeding. Play a movie trailer and watch it from 7-8 feet to eliminate IPS Glow and better judge backlight bleeding. I bet for bleeding. My iMac has zero backlight bleeding, I couldn't believe when I first test it while watching a movie, as my old iMac was terrible.

If you are not happy, be aware there are better displays, and worse.

6. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

Here it is a little further away, if i turn the screen a little down its not that bad but... anyway annoying while playing a movie if i'm close to the screen :(

Attached Files:

7. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

Another pic when playing a movie :p

Attached Files:

8. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

Another picture close up on the screen, its not that bad with a bit distance from the screen :)

Attached Files:

9. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

Take a look mate :)

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

This to me looks fairly typical of an LED screen.

I have seen some bad ones posted showing extreme bleeding in bands which are usually and easy case for return.

It's very hard to capture an eye like example with a camera sensor. The noise produced creates casting and the contrast exaggerates the situation.

I've tried 2 iMac's recently and both had very similar screens to your picture. I have some minor leak from the edges and slight yellow cast at some angles, usual indirect. But only when i whack the brightness up to max.

Auto brightness has never set it above half way so far. I don't notice bleed or casting at this brightness. In a dark room watching a movie its on 1 bar and not noticeable at all.

Results may be different if you have a glass office with a lot of light.

11. Aagaard2703 thread starter macrumors member

Aagaard2703

I Think your screen is pretty similar to mine i see that yellow tint at High brightness or at 60-70% on a all black screen, but If i angle my imac abit Down i can't see it anymore # I Can live with it om not looking on a black screen all day. And Thanks for the response ;-)

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

That looks pretty normal to me, in terms of the iMac's IPS panel. It's the nature of these displays (at this time, anyway).

13. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Don't know if it's normal or not but my 2012 has the same, I think most of them look similar to the pictures you posted.
    You can try exchanging it and try your luck, every 27" I looked at was similar, some are better than others, it's the usual apple product lottery that has become the norm these days.

14. gCloud, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

gCloud macrumors 6502a

both 2012 the one on the right is a replacement due to a disk issue.

Attached Files:

15. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

If you read some of my suggested threads, you will realize that some other customers replaced their 27'' iMac many times till they found a "good" one...that means "poor quality control"!

...it's nice to have "APPLE CARE PROTECTION" but as I've said, it's not a "happy game" to replace iMacs just to find a "good" one!

Besides, there are some bad tempered resellers who don't accept these problems as "defectiveness"...:cool: