iMac 27" BootCamp: Tweaks Worth Doing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Radiating, May 24, 2013.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

I'm running bootcamp on the 27" inch imac and I thought I'd post some useful tweaks that are worth doing and improve the experience substantially.

#1 Lower the scroll speed from the default of 3 in windows to 1. The Magic mouse scrolls far too fast and will register any twitch as a scroll causing issues. With a lowered scroll speed you will have much better usability.

#2 equalize the speakers, I'm still playing with mine but the iMac's speakers require a fair bit of equalizing to get them to sound normal. This isn't enabled in bootcamp and can be re-enabled with a phantom sound card and a VST equalizer plug in. I use standaone VST host:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

+ Virtual audio cable

+ Colour EQ

You'll have to play with the settings a lot but when set up properly this delivers flawless EQ even during very intensive games and is 100% seamless with no skipping at all.

#3 Raise the default fan speed. I raised it from 1200 to 1500 on the 680MX. Apple has very conservative fan speed, and during heavy gaming or other tasks this causes the iMac to shut down in situations that constantly push the hardware to the brink due to overheating in bootcamp. Raising the fan speed just a tick fixes this. This is also a must if you're overclocking.

You can use MacFan with a basic batch file run on startup which takes no effort to set up with a little research.

#4 Switch the command and control keys to mirror the commands on OS X. This makes memorizing keyboard shortcuts between OS X and windows much better. I use KeyTweak. Do not use autohotkey as it works more as a jerry rigged solutiuon and fails constantly.

If anyone else has any favorite tweaks feel free to post them.

2. insane79 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Are you using the new slim iMacs? i thought after late 2012 the iMacs ran much cooler, i got a late 2012 iMac that i plan to load windows 8.1 for gaming, so a fan tweak will be important even for the new slim iMacs? will be heart break seeing the iMac shut down cause of over heating..

Thanks..