iMac 27" Core i5 Issues - Help Required

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AstroGamer, Dec 14, 2010.

1. AstroGamer macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, been lurking on these forums for a whilst but have now registered.

I'm having some serious issues with my iMac for a few months now. Apple were kind enough to replace the entire machine with a new one but im still having the issues - which is now making me wonder whether Apple was to blame at all.

I'm getting graphic pixelation on startup (which i don't mind) but whats more serious is the amount of kernal panics. Each time i've formatted the Machintosh HD drive, i've always done a time machine restore... should I be trying without this? Reason I want to use Time Machine (obviously) is because it has all my settings, user accounts and applications.

My question is - by NOT using the Time Machine, should it have an impact on the system or not i.e. the graphic pixelation and issues im having? Isn't the whole point of having time machine to save the end-user time?

Please advise.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Whatever's causing the kernel panic is likely being restored each time you reinstall from TM.

3. AstroGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate this, thanks.

Is there anyway to find out WHAT exactly is causing the kernal panic? Each time I get a KP, I have to restart and it gives me the option of sending this report to Apple... but the contents of the report are a different launguage to me, any software available to determine what it is.

What I don't want to do is, do a complete and fresh install of everything and then for it to reappear again ;(

Any tips would be very much be appreciated.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Look in your console logs and see what software is throwing the KPs.

5. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Are you using stock Apple RAM?

6. AstroGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, standard stock RAM. Have never opened it up to install anything myself.

7. AstroGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Log

KP just occured and I had to restart. When I booted up into OSx, it said to send report to Apple and it produced the following log. Its a diff language to me, anyone care to pin-point what the issue is:

8. AstroGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

9. AstroGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think that the word "kalloc" that is written a lot in that log is a memory-related term. So if it's a new machine, just ask for a replacement.