iMac 27" CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MorphingDragon, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, I don't know which socket to use, but MRoogle has some threads on replacing the CPU on that machine.

But what makes me wonder, is that an i5 iMac costs 3399NZ$, the Apple upgrade to i7 costs another 390NZ$.
    You want to buy a CPU that is 689NZ$ more expensive than the one Apple offers, but it "only" has 130MHz more than the one Apple offers?

What is the advantage of such CPU that you're willing to shell out so much money?

3. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

"OEM Version" Read mate read.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm not sure what OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) means in relation to hardware.

Does it mean you can get the CPU for less than the 1079NZ$, more like the 390NZ$ it costs to upgrade the iMac by Apple?

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Seriously, why spend $1100 for a processor thats 4% faster than the $200 upgrade option?

6. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Actually, the processor is only $539 on newegg plus you could sell the one that comes in the i7 for maybe $150 or so. But you are right...too small a margin to justify.

7. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I have, and none of them were actually useful. Guess I'm gonna have to buy one and open it up. :D :( I'm not concerned by the warranty, I know where I can get mac parts.

OEM Hardware: No retail packaging, coolers, drivers(Optional) or cables.

The link was just for show, I can get it from a distribution warehouse which by nature has no website and is $400-500NZD depending on the day for pre-order.

8. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Whoops, sent the wrong link.

When I re-searched, it was actually the C2D model that had been attempted on.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=812500

9. xenoc macrumors newbie

You *could* remove the sticker without it breaking apart. Use a hot air gun/hair dryer to remove the sticker. Only catch is, make sure you don't apply too much direct heat to the board or cpu or any surrounding area. And yes, I've done this before on "Void Warranty" stickers without ruining them. Also have done the same thing many times on the Windows COA stickers without them falling apart or self-destructing.

Xenoc