imac 27" crucial memory upgrade Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'iMac' started by newMacUser2, Feb 29, 2012.

1. newMacUser2 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I upgraded my imac 27" to 12 GB with 2X4 GB crucial RAM. It had original 2X2GB Ram. On startup, I get Kernel panic screen or it takes forever to bring login screen. I was able to login once and could see 12 GB RAM but it crashed again.

On speaking to crucial, they asked to remove the old/original RAM and try just with new RAM. After removing original (Samsung) RAM & just trying with crucial, it seems to be working fine.

Is this compatibility issue between new and old RAM, will I not be able to use the original RAM? Can there again be Kernel panic or issues with crucial RAM in future.

Regards

2. crouch macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did the exact same thing as you -- added 8 GB of 2x4 GB Crucial RAM to my 27" iMac -- and didn't have a single kernel panic until I upgraded to Lion 10.7.3. After that, I'd get panics consistently every day-and-a-half. After doing a ton of research for about a week (I was convinced it was 10.7.3, and not my RAM) I finally caved in and removed the 8 GB, and sure enough, the panics went away. After going a week without a single panic, I removed the original RAM, reseated them and reinserted the Crucial RAM. Haven't had a problem since -- and it's been a good week or so.

My advice: pull out the original RAM, reinsert it firmly, and reinsert the new RAM (firmly) as well, and see what happens.

3. iRebound macrumors regular

My refurbished iMac 27 inch is coming today. I ordered the crucial 8gig ram also. Havent heard anythin like this with crucial ram. Hope this doesn't happen to me!

4. newMacUser2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again inserted the original RAM. Looking good so far with 12 GB, I had tried this earlier multiple times but it was crashing. Only difference this time is, I switched the slots for the new and old RAM.

5. newMacUser2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kernel Panics every alternate days. Have removed crucial memory. I see iMac has Samsung "Planet First" memory. Should I try this RAM for upgrade?

6. macses, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

macses macrumors newbie

exactly the same as here.
    now removed crucial ram and trying with original ram alone....
    it's weird because I have this mac finds may 2011 with this configuration: 2x 2GB original ram and 2x8Gb crucial ram without problems.

2 weeks ago I started having kernel panics and 1 freeze without the kernel panic screen.
    Now typing this with only the original ram in place and doing a men test.
    tomorrow I will try with only the crucial memory in place since that seems to be the cause.

I was thinking it was something with 10.7.3 because with 10.6 until 10.7.2 never had a single kernel panic.........