iMac 27" delivered Monday, returned to Apple on Sunday

Discussion in 'iMac' started by instarmac, Feb 17, 2013.

1. instarmac macrumors newbie

So last Monday (Feb 11) I finally got the 27" iMac that I ordered on Jan. 16. Sadly, today I had to return it to the Apple store and reorder. It'll be another 3-4 weeks. You'd think Apple would have a better setup for getting a replacement machine to a customer after they've already waited a month, especially since it was defective.

There was some issue with the machine in that it would do a crazy boot up in low resolution and wouldn't let me reset it to a higher res. It started about 3 days after I got the machine. By this morning, I was having to reboot six times before I could get the machine to open in high res mode. I called Apple support. The didn't have a clue why it was happening on a new machine, but said I could bring it in and they'd send it off for repair. I decided having it fixed first rattle out of the box would be about the same as buying a refurb machine, and I paid good money for new.

Oh well. The time will go by quickly - - I hope. Fortunately, I still have my early 2009 24" iMac. It's been trouble-free all these years.

2. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

I feel your pain, mine came with a defective hard drive which died about a week after using it. Took it to an apple store and they offered to give me a replacement but had to send it back to a apple return center since it was a online BTO order.

I dropped it off at USPS but found it odd I couldn't track my iMac. So I waited about 5 days to see if it updated but never did, I went to USPS to find out they hadn't sent it yet! I was so angry but they finally sent it the next day after complaining to them only for it to be stuck in Atlanta for 4 more days. It finally got to the Return center in Penn about 4 more days. So all in all it took USPS about 2 weeks to get my iMac from Florida to Pennsylvania. :mad:

I had an order placed for a replacement all the while but I decided to upgrade from a 1 TB Fusion Drive to a 3 TB Fusion Drive since 1 was not nearly enough room. But since I wanted to change my order I had to wait to get a refund which as I stated above took about 2 weeks since I shipped my defective iMac.

I just placed a new order for my new iMac yesterday and now to wait another 3-4 weeks /sigh. Hopefully this one doesn't have any defects or a bad screen. I have never waited so long for something I wanted so bad in my life. I know it'll be worth the wait though! Sorry for the long story, just wanted to say I feel your pain! lol ;)

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Great now I know what I have to look forward to. More waiting. My 27" 3TB Fusion crashed.
    Yep just got off the phone Estimated delivery March 18th-25th. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. instarmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not really all that upset the iMac was defective, disappointed, but not upset - things happen when people make stuff. My gripe is with the whole process of getting a new machine. They couldn't just take my original one back and re-order a replacement. I had to return the original, get a refund, and then go home and order a new one online. Weird. The agent (he said he was a sales agent, but apparently he couldn't sell anything) said I could use one of the machines there to place my order, but I didn't think entering my personal financial info in a public machine was wise.

I've always had good service at the Apple store, but this was the first time to deal with a return.

5. HenryDJP macrumors 603

But it doesn't sound like it was defective based on your OP, it sounds like it's more of a software issue. Didn't Apple recommend just reformatting the HDD? I would've tried that before returning it. Could've been a faulty ML image on the HDD.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I was going to say... Doesn't sound like a faulty iMac to me, from the description given.

7. kanepuppydog macrumors newbie

I ordered on the same day as you and my imac also had a fault (Its screen did not work) and i called them and they collected it and sent me a replacement and it is arriving wednesday

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I think you should of tried reinstalling the OS or replacing the desktop.plist file to resolve the issue. It doesn't sound like a hardware issue, but software.

9. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

No harm intended, but shouldn't the Apple genius be able to figure it out?

10. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I also have had terrible luck with the 2012 27" iMacs. I've personally gone through three of them so far and just bought a Mini to hold me over until they work things out.

When I spoke to Apple I told them I needed to keep the faulty iMac (it was functioning, but Target Display Mode wouldn't work) and they went and sent me a replacement and asked me to send the original one back after I setup the new one. This was the process for all three (still have the last two right now).

For anyone that has a working mostly machine, see if Apple will do this same process for you. I was able to get about $250 refunded for all the hassle and issues (which was quite generous and nice).

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If you don't change the config you are supposed to get priority placement. Call a cust svc supervisor with your order/RMA # and see if they can help.