iMac 27" + Dell u2410 external monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thegoat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. thegoat macrumors newbie

I'm about to purchase a new imac 27" and I was wondering which adaptor I should buy to plug into a Dell u2410 external monitor. Which would be the best?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can get a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. That is the simplest solution, or you can get a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter and a DVI cable, which are easier to find in stores. Since it's the u2410, you only need the cheaper standard DVI adapter if you go that route, not the $99 dual-link one.

3. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

I was considering it until I read some false reviews saying it was the wrong adaptor, but I guess the only way to find out now is to try myself. What about mini display port to display port?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Which one are you talking about? The expensive adapter is not necessary for your monitor, as the standard one can output the 1920x1200 resolution that the 2410 has. The mDP to DP cables usually have to be ordered online, but with those you just have one cable and nothing else to worry about.

5. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I just go for the one apple sells or does anyone have any other recommendations?

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

monoprice.com sells good cables for great prices.

7. thegoat, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got my imac 27" today and I plugged in the mini display port to dvi into my dell u2410. I can't get it to work.

Nevermind it works! You just have to shove the mini display port in, I thought it was going to break at first but don't be scared to apply pressure.

8. purplesuzi macrumors newbie

Can't get the resolution working properly on DellU2410

Hey there,

So I shoved the mini display port cable in as suggested.
    The Dell will only work on the 1080i setting (with really crappy resolution).
    When set to 1080p it flashes on and off constantly.
    It won't work at all on the 1920 x 1200 - just keeps going to power save mode.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I can improve the resolution and keep the Dell screen working properly?