iMac 27" does not read SanDisk Memory Stick Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DougY, Jun 12, 2010.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

My relatively new iMac 27" accepts and reads the memory stick on my Canon EOS Sxi, and my Sony dsc-h55 Cybershot. However, my wife has an earlier model Sony Cybershot, with a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo, and the iMac doesn't read it. I put it in, and nothing happens. With the other mem sticks, after I insert it into the SD Card slot, iPhoto starts, and reads the contents of the card. Should it read the SanDisk Stick?

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Are you using a USB card reader? Can the Memory Stick be read on other computers? Does the Memory Stick have MagicGate?

3. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

No, Im not using a card reader. Im inserting it into the card slot built into the iMac itself!

4. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

How are you putting a Memory Stick card in the iMac? An adaptor to fit in the iMac's SD slot?

5. DSB macrumors newbie

Memory Stick Pro Duo Card

Just plug your camera into a USB port with the cable provided when you purchased your camera. There is no need to even remove the memory card. I was having this exact same problem and was very perplexed, inasmuch as I never had a problem with my Windows machine. It works great.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The slot on your iMac is for reading SD cards. I do not htink it does magic sticks

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Stealthipad is right. Only SD, SDHC and SDXC cards will work inside the iMac's card slot. Others won't, even if they "fit" inside the hole; the data/power contacts don't match up.

You're risking damage to either your Memory Stick or the iMac's card slot by doing this. I second DSB's suggestion (the USB cord).