iMac 27" Dual Core and Mac Pro Quad or iMac i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tbrule, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tbrule macrumors newbie

I currently own a Mac Pro with the Quad-Core Nehalem 2.66 processor. I knew as soon as the 27" iMac was released that I wanted one. Now here's my dilemma, which should I do...

1. Keep the Mac Pro and save some money and just buy the iMac 27" Dual Core and use the Mini Display port on the iMac for the Mac Pro.

2. Sell the Mac Pro and buy the i7 iMac

I would appreciate any advice.

2. Madking macrumors newbie

the first choice is not saving money, but wasting it. since ur mac pro is more powerful than the imac, you'd basically be buying a 27-inch display, as you'd use the mac pro much more often than the imac.

do the second choice if you really want it.

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well if you bought the Mac Pro, I'm guessing you like tinkering around with your machine, which you wouldn't be able to do with the iMac.

4. tbrule thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't clear in my original post. I meant saving money between the Core2Duo iMac and the i7.

My original plan was to sell the Mac Pro but I had two unsuccessful ebay auctions (winner not paying up) and I think I'm just tired of messing with it so I'm brainstorming my options.

Money not really a big issue...so I was starting to think it might be cool to have two computers...the 27" iMac for day-to-day stuff and the MacPro as a server and machine to encode my movies.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i'd get the dual core imac 27 and keep the mac pro... however... it seems pretty pointless having 2 desktops and so if you want the power, maybe the quad core i7 is where you should go [​IMG]