iMac 27" external monitor suggestions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scapegoat78, Mar 10, 2014.

1. scapegoat78 macrumors newbie

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi all--

I am a professional graphic designer of about 15 years, and I am going to be upgrading my hardware soon. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to get a fully loaded (getting my RAM aftermarket of course) 27 inch iMac. I handle graphics, NOT video of any kind, so it seems like a good fit. I already have a Cintiq display for my tablet needs, but I'm considering an additional 27 inch display, as I work with three monitors now and am pretty accustomed to it.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? I know to avoid edge-lit and LED displays for the most part. I need links, I'm shopping soon. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
  2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Dec 20, 2013
    Austin (supposedly in Texas)
  3. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2012
    Ya for that price you can buy a used or refurb
  4. FlyLight macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2014
    Eizo. Their advantage is that with certain models you can manually adjust the calibration to EXACTLY match your output (obviously done before a client job using a test image and proof output).

I do pre-press, photography and graphic design for a high-end magazine, and love my 22" Eizo CG222W (attached to a late-2009 27" iMac)
  5. theSeb macrumors 604

Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    Buy a used or refurb what?
  6. thekev macrumors 604

Aug 5, 2010
    That would be my top choice. They cost considerably more than NEC at comparable sizes, so it depends on budget though. Interestingly NEC doesn't have anything in 4K yet. I suspect they'll go there when the technology is fully stable and probably not before there is some standardization to MST topology.
  7. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2012
    North East US
    Eizo if it's in the budget. Otherwise NEC. Bought a PA271w and I'm happy with it.