Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZtevenX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
I upgraded from the 24' iMac and noticed that the new one is soooooo much louder than the old iMac, the 24' is almost silent but this new one the fan is veryvery noticeable. the body is also really hot. Is this normal?

ZtevenX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Depends on what you're doing. The 27" I use is really quiet, even more so than my MacBook.

exactly why im confused, running tweetdeck, firefox, safari nothing heavy. I just touched the back and it's really hot, the top is just burning.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Download iStat Nano (widget) from Apple and tell us your temps and also your fan speeds. The new iMacs should be pretty silent, even when hot.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
exactly why im confused, running tweetdeck, firefox, safari nothing heavy. I just touched the back and it's really hot, the top is just burning.

It will be pretty warm, the aluminum carries the heat very well. I'd download iStat to check your temps, processes, etc and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

ZtevenX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Ok i think something is definitely not right.. I figured maybe i should restart the computer, this screen shot was taken 5-10 seconds after it restarted

screenshot20110705at100.png

Dock is almost at 400%
on my macbook air the dock process is so little that it doesn't even make it into the list...

what is going on =O

Last edited:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Try restarting the dock, or deleting the .plist for it, that may help. Looks like you just encountered a glitch which is conveniently sucking up all of your CPU.

ZtevenX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Try restarting the dock, or deleting the .plist for it, that may help. Looks like you just encountered a glitch which is conveniently sucking up all of your CPU.

restarting the dock doesn't help, it automatically goes back to 400%, how do i delete the .plist?

rj86

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Also worth asking is: do you have any 3rd party addons that affect the way your dock works?

LarsLjung

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Sweden
Are you using Parallels 6 and just upgraded to OS X 10.6.8?

"ISSUE
After updating the Mac OS X to version 10.6.8, with Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac installed, the Mac system’s Dock process may start consuming 100% of the CPU core. This results in slower than expected Mac OS operations."

http://kb.parallels.com/111541

ZtevenX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Are you using Parallels 6 and just upgraded to OS X 10.6.8?

"ISSUE
After updating the Mac OS X to version 10.6.8, with Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac installed, the Mac system’s Dock process may start consuming 100% of the CPU core. This results in slower than expected Mac OS operations."

http://kb.parallels.com/111541

Thanks so much! fixed it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.