iMac 27" Firewire 800 Connection Dismounting

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ehmjay, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ehmjay macrumors member

We've been having major issues with the Firewire 800 port on our recently purchased iMac 27" (with Thunderbolt).

For a while we noticed the Firewire 800 port was rather flakey, dropping connections here and there. It's now almost consistant - as soon as we set up any sort of transfer the transfer begins and after about 1.5 gb or so have been coppied the drives will start spinning strangely and the "Did Not Eject" warning appears.

This is with SEVERAL drives, all of which work fine with the other MacPros/MacBook Pros in the office. These drives are also just fine with USB so it's not the firewire on the drives themselves. It seems to be particualrly bad with any drives which are bus powered.

Tried several different cables and I know thats not the issue either. The problem still persists.

We are a media studio specializing in broadcast and design and this computer is used predominantly for video editing which means we transfer a lot of our large files via Firewire 800, so it not working puts a serious kink in our workflow.

Anyone else noticing the issue with these recent iMac 27" (which I've heard feature a whole host of issues)? Anyone know how I can get in touch directly with Apple?

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

FW800 does not seem as reliable with mounting and unmounting compared with USB from personal experience.

1800-MY-APPLE

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I have several external hard drives daisy chained through the single FW800 port on my 27" 2011 iMac and have never had any of the issues you described.

The "whole host of issues" you hear about are from those that actually report them. Keep in mind that Apple has sold a good amount of 27" iMacs without issues.

apple.com/support/contact/