iMac 27" for Lightroom

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rjalex, May 25, 2015.

1. rjalex macrumors newbie

rjalex

I have use LR3, 4, 5 and then 6 on my old 27" late 2009 but I am afraid the machine is dying and I'll have to buy a new one.

Anyone with suggestion on i5 vs i7 ?

From experience I'd say 8GB would be enough, but never used Yosemite. Opinions ?

I had a 1TB HDD which is constantly around 750GB with around 250GB free. Best storage options for this situation ?

Thanks in advance

2. Pieterr macrumors regular

What is your budget?

The standard 3.5GHz 5K iMac sounds like a good candidate for you.
    It comes with 8GB memory, which can be extended later cheaply by adding 2x8GB yourself.
    Furthermore it has a 1TB Fusion drive.
    i5 and M290X are more than enough for Lightroom usage.

3. rjalex thread starter macrumors newbie

rjalex

I see the model you suggest is around 2.6K euros in my country.
    Upgrade to i7 +300
    Upgrade to M295X with 4GB +300

Is the memory of the basic graphic card supporting the 5K display well ?

What would the i5 to i7 upgrade give me as betterment ?

Thank you so much.

4. Pieterr macrumors regular

5. alexxk macrumors 6502

I'm also looking at a lot..

I even did think about building a PC and buying a good monitor for it, but I might just hang on for an update for the iMac with the next Intel processor Skylake and get the next i7, not sure what the next base graphics card will be, but I bet it will be better than m290x

The only reason I dont buy today is that i see a lot of complain on the retina models about performance.. so the next one, with the next OS and a faster processor and better base GPU should be worth the wait..

6. Pieterr macrumors regular

I don't understand. The standard 5K iMac is a very capable machine. Most people that are complaining in forums like this are the GTA5-kind of people. If you are not a gamer, the iMac performs perfectly.

Next year's model will always be better, faster, stronger. If you have the time, just wait! And repeat that approach next year... :)

7. alexxk macrumors 6502

Not just GT5, but I've seen people complaining about other areas as well, lightroom for one, the Mac OS on its own as well, preview being laggy, PDF really slow.. and other things

This is Apple's first 27 inch 5K machine.. I dont' need to wait 2 or 3 generations, but the first is always the first. Why would I pay 2500 dollars for a machine not performing so well. Im sure it does many things really well, but like I said I saw way too many complaints on it.. and I'm not a computer Gamer!! I don't even look at those..

Macbook Pro already uses m370X GPU for example..

Next Update for me is the way to go!!

8. Pieterr macrumors regular

Name me one product and I'll google a bag full of complaints for you. :)

The people who are satisfied with their products often have a far less louder presence in these forums. We have a 5K iMac in our family and no complaints whatshowever.

Anyway, you are of course allowed to wait on the next generation.

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have retina iMac, 1 TB, 24 GB RAM, m295x, and the 4 GHz i7. I bought at the top because I was coming from a cMP with a hex core, 24 GB RAM, SSD, and a 7970. It just flew through every image task I gave it, and I didn't want to give that up.

Except that I did.

You ask specifically about Lightroom. Before LR 6, I was not pleased at all. Adjustments were very laggy -- move a slider, wait even 2-3 seconds.

Sure, in the great scheme of things a couple of seconds isn't much. But when you're working on something, concentrating, making adjustments, it is. I found it very frustrating.

But with LR6, it's much, much better. True, when you first bring up a large image (I shoot D810 RAW) in the Develop module, there's a noticeable lag while the image details form on the screen. But after that, there isn't.

True, when I move back and forth between images, LR6 has to reform the image, and I see lag there (there may be a workaround for this that I don't know about). So flipping back and forth between images can be annoyingly slow. But once you get the image up, it's all good.

You have LR6 so you should be good.

And the screen is everything they say it is.