iMac 27 for University?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by connor.e, Apr 15, 2012.

1. connor.e macrumors member

I'm going to York University for film production, and was wondering what sort of setup I should be looking into. To note, I already have a 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz C2D.

Here's the question:

Should I buy a fully specced iMac 27 inch? (This paired with my older 13 MBP)

OR

Should I buy a fully specced MacBook Pro 15 inch? (Portability factor)

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

I'd get the iMac. I'm going to assume your university will have a full fledged work setup for anything you'll have to do computer-wise on campus, so I doubt mobility will be a big deal. If it is you still have your 13" for whatever minor things come up. I'd even consider selling that and picking up an iPad + iMac combo.

3. Spike88, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If you plan to attend university this Sept, I would wait until Aug before puchasing. Before purchasing (using student discount or perhap refurbish - which ever is less cost), I would simply check the university course details. Each university / course clearly states minimum computer requirements - for their specific courses. For example, some recommend desktops and some recommend portable systems. Regardless, each lists their mandatory applications as well. If wondering, my son plans to attend college this Sept. We're now doing this "wait, research, then buy" tasks in Aug as well...

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

If you’re going to use editing tools and software, I would keep your MBP and get a Mac Pro. You’ll use every bit of the power and you’ll need the fans. Final Cut Pro X, Corel, and Adobe Premiere get really hot!