iMac 27" full options price

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aidacra, Oct 25, 2012.

1. aidacra macrumors newbie

Ok, so after the long wait I want to order the following:

iMac 27"
    Intel Core i7 3.4GHz
    8GB (will expand to 32GB afterwards)
    Fusion Drive 128GB SSD/3TB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    Extras: Magic Trackpad, Time Capsule 2TB

Yes full options all the way.

So do you THINK that this will cost more than $ 4400?
    I know we can only guess, it is just to make the waiting a little bit easier.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I assume by afterwards you mean you will upgrade the RAM yourself? I would also suggest to buy something better and more reliable than the Time Capsule.

3. aidacra thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I will replace the RAM by Corsair memory.

Why is the Time Capsule not a good choice? I need a new router and a backup disk. So it seemed like a good idea to combine this.

I don't need a NAS for streaming media etc. Already have a Sonos for music and two simple mediaplayers which are sufficient for me.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The performance of the SATA controller on the TC is not very good, even if you use Gigabit ethernet to connect. There have been loads of issues related to heat and replacement programs on the older models, although that "should" be fixed. I am still not happy about how hot mine gets and that can't be good for the hard drive and the performance is below my expectations so it's sitting in a cupboard switched off. For the same amount of money, or less, you can get a better Cisco/Linksys wireless router + modem and a larger capacity external drive to connect directly to the iMac. That makes far more sense to me and what I use now.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Since Apple does not "officially" support non-TC NAS devices for Time Machine... you are at their mercy every time there is an OS patch or update. I know that it has happened before... but people have found ways to get around the issues. Similarly, NAS boxes have become "non-supportive"... and the NAS providers had to offer updates.

IMHO... back-up is a utility that I want to work 100% of the time without tinkering or tweeking. For me... using TC's "just work"... and for me, that is worth the small premium.

Personally... I only use TC's for backup. I have other NAS options for sharing data.

/Jim