Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

///M5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
Hi all,

I thought of playing Batman Arkham Asylum yesterday and it seems that I have a faulty GPU (with all settings at High and everything enabled)

The minute ANY 3D scene starts; I hear this high noise coming from upper-right side from the Apple logo if you're facing the screen. GPU temperature jumps to 92c while just idling at the start screen of the game (with Batman in the background in 3D) without even playing.

The second I close the game the noise is just gone.

I also sometimes hear it when just scrolling through a high-res photo in iPhoto. I believe iPhoto uses the GPU too?

Do I have a lemon? I'm already overseas with the iMac with no Apple store around. What do I do? :mad:

Ta.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Do I have a lemon? I'm already overseas with the iMac with no Apple store around. What do I do? :mad:

Ta.

You may have a lemon.

I was sick this last weekend and was playing BF3 for something like 8 hours and my GPU temp reached +-55c. Call Apple support and explain the problem, see what they say, and make sure your back-ups are fresh.

umschatb

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
My brother and I both bought the same maxed out 27" iMac with GT680MX GPU.

The same day he unboxed it and played WoW or Diablo, or anything that really used the GPU, it made a "fan like" grinding noise. Game ran fine, but the sound was very distinct.

Mine on the other hand, was silent, performing the same tasks. It was nice having an identical machine to compare it too.

So, yes I would say your machine is faulty, as was my brothers. My brother has since called Apple, sent his back and recieved another one yesterday, which runs silent like mine.

I'm certain the issue is from the factory. The only thing different my brother did, was he turned his on, when the machine was still pretty cold, so it shut down right away. Fairly certain that had no effect on his GPU.

Call Apple and get yours exchanged. Sucks having to be without your computer for 2 weeks though..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.