iMac 27" i7 Coming tomorrow!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AreYouAMac, Dec 21, 2010.

1. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Sup Fellas and Ladies.

Well the family purchased an iMac 27" i7 as a graduation present for me and its coming tomorrow. I'm anxiously waiting for it... but it's funny how I still am anxiously for a Google CR-48 notebook. I guess it's the thrill of receiving it or not that makes it even more exciting!

K - back to the question that I would like to know. I will purchase Apple Care next year when the 1st year of owning the iMac comes. Now, since it adds on 2 additional years, says on Dec. 21 2013, if my logic board fails, when they replace it - will I also receive the additional 90 Days warranty on that part? Or, once they replace that part - that would be it, no more fixes even if the logic fails again.

I'm just anxious for it tomorrow.

Happy Holidays!

2. bhumm25 macrumors newbie

You have 90 days to purchase AppleCare. Bring up the iMac AppleCare page and it says 'You must purchase AppleCare before the 90 day limited warranty expires for your iMac to be eligible for AppleCare.' And once you have AppleCare, they replace the part, no matter what. Even if something keeps failing. And if something does keep failing, they will [usually] replace or [sometimes] give you a brand new machine. So If you buy AppleCare within 90 days, you get the 2 years of AppleCare and the 90 day warranty. Sound Good? ;) :apple:

EDIT: Forgot about your question! If a part fails the day your AppleCare expires, since i'm pretty sure AppleCare would expire on December 23rd, 2013 at 11:59:59 PM (1 second before the 24th) They should replace it. You might want to ask Apple Store Chat that one.

3. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer!

BTW, I think their is some conflict of interest here... I always thought that you can purchase AppleCare within the 1 year time frame. So I looked on their website...

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
    You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Are you sure the iMac AppleCare plan says 90 days? I think you have read the complimentary 90 day phone tech. support?

4. trillville macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think the 90 day thing is true. I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to purchase it up to a year after you buy your computer.

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Your phone support coverage expires after 90 days. Your hardware is still covered for a year. You can purchase applecare for your machine anytime before the 1 year hardware support expires and then your phone and hardware support is extended as if you purchased applecare on day 1.

Insofar as extended coverage for replacement of a defective part at or near the expiration of applecare - beats me. Doesn't seem to be addressed in the applecare agreement, but I'm sure there is some reasonable amount of coverage if the part they replace just before your applecare expires fails again in a relatively short period of time. Usually, double whammies like that don't happen though.