Imac 27 [ I7 or I5 ] :apple:

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Doxis, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Doxis macrumors newbie

So thinking of buying an imac 27.
    But i really don't know if i should pick I7 or I5 ?! :(

I will make movies, play some steam games, music make and photoshop...

Think i will upgrade with 2*4 Gb ram so I get totall 12 Gb ram but

I5 vs I7 :confused:

I have no idea, I7 is better i know but I5 is much cheaper!

So I need some help! :apple:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you plan on doing a lot of movies or really long and/or complex ones? If so, the i7 will speed up that process a lot for you.

3. Doxis thread starter macrumors newbie

Mosly Game montages in the beginning with much effects ( project size is around 2-3 GB )

Then after some months so will I start doing "Fps" In after effects (Like freddiew on youtube and some other channels)

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Check out this page.

3.4GHz i7 = 12,575

3.1GHz i5 = 9,192

2.7GHz i5 = 8,671

5. pizzafootbal macrumors member

If this is a long term machine, go i7. I got the 3.4 i7 and it's pretty dang fast

6. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I had the same delema (I just bought a 27" after my Dell crashed and burned not long ago). I finally decided that, even though the i7 would be faster for some tasks, I could not justify the price difference. I ended up with the i5 entry level and for me it was the right choice. So far I've never felt wanting for more power. Had it been only a couple hundred more (from the entry level i5) I might have done it, but it's nearly $500 more for the entry level i7 versus the entry level i5. A little extra speed for a few tasks where I might see that difference wasn't worth $500. I did upgrade to 12MB after market (for about $50). I guess it really boils down to how badly you "need" a little extra speed on those apps where you might see a difference. For most day-to-day tasks you won't see a difference.

7. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

the i5 is very powerful. its a sandybridge 2nd generation chip, it really depends where you are coming from

the main advantage to the i7 is dual threaded which is a 20% advantage for video encoding, for example. but in many apps actually shows no difference

you can see that tom puts the i5 and the i7 in the same performance bracket:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3052-5.html

I wouldn't worry too much about the i7. If money is no object then of course get the i7 and 6970m, but most people will not notice a difference

I have a base model 27" and I am playing counterstrike source fine (from steam) at native resolution
    I am also using adobe lightroom and it runs very fast