iMac 27" i7 or Low Spec Mac Pro Quad Core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wilky94, Oct 31, 2010.

1. wilky94 macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm looking for some advice. should I get either an iMac 27" Core I7 4GB RAM 1TB HDD and ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB, or Mac Pro Quad Core 2.80GHz 6GB RAM and 1TB HDD.
    I do a lot of iPhone and Mac development and also use Photoshop to make graphics. I occasionally use final cut express.
    I have a 24" monitor at the moment so I will not need to buy another if I get a Mac Pro.
    Thanks
    Kieran

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I would go pro

Go with the Mac Pro and get an aftermarket SSD(not one from Apple) and use that as your boot drive. By the time you buy the Apple SSD+HD with the iMac you will be spending about the same amount of money.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Fully agree with this. If you're going to get a SSD, the Mac Pro is much cheaper in the end (and you get a better SSD). Most definitely don't need a large SSD to serve as a boot: 64-128GB should suffice.

You're uses probably wouldn't stress the CPU of either system, but the expandability of the MP is a great advantage. Check the Refurb store for a good deal on the 2.8GHz 2010 MP. Also, there are a ton of threads on this topic you can read for additional advice.