iMac 27" i7 versus new Macbook Pro 17" i7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cplhicks, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Cplhicks macrumors newbie

Now that the new specs are out, I'm wondering what the mac experts here recommend. I'm waffling between going desktop with the iMac i7, or sticking with laptop only and getting the new Macbook Pro 17 i7. I move my computer around much, which is why I'm considering the desktop, and I do have a 2006 Macbook pro currently.

So from a performance standpoint, is the iMac much better? Given the problems with the 27" iMacs though, I wonder if I'd still be better off with a MBP. Any advice welcome...

2. JNickyJJ macrumors member

well performance wise, i would still go with the iMac. Portability with the MBP but seeing as you have a 2006 mbp it'll be fine [​IMG] and then about the iMac having problems, i think they have been sorted out now so no need to worry about those!

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

iMac i7 = Quad Core

Macbook Pro i7 = Dual Core

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's the case. Even though Arrandale is 32nm which gives ~15% boost, iMac is still A LOT faster

5. auero macrumors 65816

Is it a lot faster? Im regretting ordering my i7 since I could get the 17" cheaper than an iMac i7 and 13" mbp. Lost on what to do :(

6. Cplhicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I have been leaning iMac for a while, but the reported problems (and the fact I can't use it as a monitor for my PC notebook) were kinda driving me away from it toward the safety of a known quantity, a Macbook Pro. But from what I've heard/seen, the iMac probably is more suited to what I need.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say the i7 iMac is +80% faster than i7 MBP

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

80% faster falling from the balcony?
    Are these numbers just based on speculations?

According to geekbench the MBP i7 clocks in at ~6200 and the i7 iMac around 9k.
    That's an syntetic benchmark, real world difference is usually a lot less.

A 32nm die isn't faster than a 45nm one at same clock freq, but it lowers powerconsumption (usually).

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That was just speculation. The fact that desktop i7 runs at 2.8GHz and has four cores while mobile i7 runs at 2.66GHz and has 2 cores. Well, 80% is probably little too much but it's +50% faster. Of course the speed depends on app so it won't make Safari any faster but apps that benefit from more speed and cores, it will. BTW, i7 iMac gets almost 10k in GeekBench

AFAIK, 32nm is ~15% faster at same clock speed than 45nm. I might be wrong but this has been the case for years, I guess

10. smetvid macrumors 6502

Not only the Imac faster but it has one heck of an amazing larger screen. Not to mention you can upgrade to 16 GB of ram in the Imac. The Ram alone is a pretty big feature of the Imac. I don't know for sure yet but I think the ATI video card in the Imac is better then any of the MBP video cards. So overall a much better system.

How portable do you need this system? The reason I ask is because I used to use laptops thinking I really wanted them to be portable. In reality however I hardly ever took it anywhere. I now use Imacs and use an Ilugger bag to transport it with me to work every day. Yeah it is heavier and I wouldn't want to take it to Starbucks but it gives me just enough portability that I need with my system. I am currently lugging around a 21.5" Imac but I know they make bags for the 27". They are much heavier but with the shoulder strap it is totally possible to haul it around. I have no arm strength at all and I have no problem at all hauling around my 21.5" every day. Now if you really need to run off of battery power then of course a laptop is the only way to go. Personally I would much rather use an Ipad type device in those situations anyway instead of a 17" laptop.

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

we can argue all day (&night) about how much faster an iMac is to the the new MBP. It's just faster.
    The real question is an i7 MBP good enough for you?
    Big question is portability. MBP wins, but how much of a factor is this too you?
    Screen size. iMac wins, how much of a factor is this to you?
    Keeping data in sync. One computer is easier than 2. I would like improvements in this area (I hope Steve is listening).

12. androw macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've been waiting for this laptops for some while now, since I would like to have a powerful portable device with a large 24" or 27" screen at home.

First, I was plannig to buy a i7 MBP 15" (since the 13" is not powerful enough, or is it? I use Photoshop and Lightroom for my photography bussines) with a 27" display, waiting for a new cinema display or buy something like Dell.

So, what are your suggestions?

i5/i7 27" imac and a 13" MBP (can i use the MBP as a external monitor??)?
    i7 15" MBP with a 27" display?
    13" MBP with a 27" display?

My main goal is a fast and a reliable system with a quality big display for photo editing and lots of Adobe Lightroom work with 20GB+ photos at the same time, exporting, bla bla bla. Also I would like to have a portable device that I can use it on the field, at collage, at work or just for surfing internet round the house.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get iMac + 13" MBP combo. iMac is a lot faster than any MBP plus it has four RAM slots (=cheap 8GB) let alone the enormous display! Then again, 13" MBP is enough for portable use and why not for lighter Adobe stuff.

15" MBP + external display may lead to cable hassle so you end up using it as a desktop or without the external screen.

14. Lotharseven macrumors newbie

I hear you about just using it as a desktop. I had a 15" MBP that I thought would be a nice desktop/portable solution but by the time you unplug possible keyboards, backup drives, monitor and dig out your power adapter, I would just end up grabbing my old Win laptop.

15. Cplhicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to the advice here I got a 27" iMac. Tested the screen and everything-- it all seemed great. Nice system. Then I tried to copy my data from my MBP via firewire, only to discover the FW port is apparently bad. :( So nice system, bad luck. Now I get to lug it into the Apple store for a probable replacement tomorrow, and after owning it a couple days I haven't even really gotten to use it. Ah well, them's the breaks. Thanks for the advice though-- when working it seems like it'll be a nice system.

16. cryer macrumors regular

I've got the same decision to make on this (iMac i7 vs mbp i7)

The only thing is that the Mac Buyers Guide says to wait and "buy only if needed" since it's approaching end of cycle. Should I wait?

Then there's the fact that the Refurb store has iMac i7's up now, which are considerably cheaper than buying new. Once they're gone, they're gone, so should I just get one? But then what about the refresh? What upgrades could it have? 30" screen, faster components, etc? Is it worth it?

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As you're getting the i7, just buy now. Next update won't affect it very much as it already uses the fastest chips available

18. OrangeGuutan macrumors newbie

OrangeGuutan

19. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

if its 17" i7 vs (27" iMac + 13" MBP) then its no contest, the imac+mbp combo wins every time

I appreciate the buyers guide but it said wait since November 2009 for the MBP which was released in April 2010. Felt sorry for the ppl stuck in that mess LOL