iMac 27" i7 vs next gen Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uaecasher, Feb 2, 2010.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Hello,

I'm wondering if I should get iMac 27" i7 or wait till the new 12 core Mac Pro comes out?

What will I use it for?

1) Architecture.
    2) Programming.
    3) Photography & movie editing.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Pro because it's easily/more upgradable and will last longer, what do you think?

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would guess the next Mac Pro revision will be substantial, to differentiate them from the i7 iMac.

I would wait for the an update and then purchase a Mac Pro.

3. svndmvn Guest

Yes, I'd go for that too

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you don't mind having a big computer tower taking up space, and have the extra cash go for the Mac Pro.

However as I despise those things ^^ I myself am going to be purchasing a 27" i7 iMac :)

Happy Shopping :)

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Damnit, I'm in the same boat. I'm personally waiting for the Mac Pro update first to better weigh my options. There's no good in comparing one known variable to an unknown variable. I like the expandability of the MP, but not it's price. I love the screen of the iMac, plus the price, but not the lack of expandability, lack of SSD, dual internal hard drives, and to a lesser extent, lack of blu-ray.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hey DoFoT9, do you use your iMac for audio and music production by chance? I've always noticed the drums in your sig...:)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey there :)

umm i do occasionally, but just with Garageband - not with logic or anything. i have a few mics that i record with but its not a very good setup. its just enough to show the people who are interested what i want to show them (if that makes sense lol).

why do you ask?

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh nice, yea because I run logic studio and wanted to know how it ran on the iMac. :)

11. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

personally i would get the imac but the pro will be more upgradeable and futureproof [​IMG]

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh right that makes sense. sorry i dont have any first hand experience - im no that heavily into it. FWIW so far i have thrown a whole lot at it and it handles it with ease! the 4GB of RAM is the limitation for me atm.

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hey, thanks for the reply, and sorry for replying late...

Yea, just wanted to gauge how audio people with iMacs are liking their machines. But you can upgrade to 8 in time I would think. Hopefully 4 GB Dimms get cheaper sooner than later. Anyway, you don't even want to know how I'm dealing with Logic Studio on my current 13" MBP with 2 GB RAM...It's a temporary machine until I decide between the iMac or the MP.

Anyway, what makes it so especially tough is the fact that the iMac does go up to 8 GB RAM, which is awesome. The only thing is I really feel Apple should allow easy, user serviceable, warranty covered, hard drive replacement. Or at the very, very least, offered an SSD CTO option. I feel, given its 2010, this should have been offered by now.

For me, I think that is the biggest deal breaker for me. If the Mac Pros end up costing a fortune again, I might just wait it out again for the next iMac refresh. Hopefully by then, when Jobs meaning of "next level" macs will offer next level CTO options lol.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha its all good, i have had replies come weeks/months later.

yes the upgrade to 8GB total is def on my table. the sticks arent available in australia very much, and they are costly - so i think ill order from crucial.com its very cheap! :D

running off a MB would indeed be VERY painful - can i ask what type of samples/channels you work with? how many at a time?

iMac supports 16GB RAM currently, dont forget that ;)

totally agreed with the SSDs in the iMac. but you have to think about it from the perspective of the machines intentions. its basically just a machine that sits on a desk for medium work processing duties. its an all-in-one, meaning that everything is meant to be on the inside. with an 80GB SSD, 160GB SSD or even the latest 250GB SSDs (which would double the price of the machine basically) the amount of available storage isnt much! your logic projects take up a good 20GBs each? at least? i would much rather have 2TB of space and sacrifice a bit of time and not have the external (slower) drives attached.

if you are fine in the mean time however, it might be an idea to wait for the latest iMacs - LightPeaks, USB3.0, touch compatibility, 10GB/s ethernet, SSDs and more/faster RAM all seem to be a viable option for the next apple updates. maybe it is worth the wait?

for me, this machine is perfect! storage is good (i have a million external drives anyway lol), RAM upgradability is great, screen is AMAZING. im set :D

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sorry, random observation, but I always seem to notice that people from Australia are always so friendly :D

It is painful. Right now I only like to work in light projects at the moment. I have some large projects, some as high as 64 tracks, and I'll get a CPU system overload every 8 measures or so when I introduce a new progression. I know technological limitations should never be a reason to not be creative, but in my case, it really discourages me from working. I would say that is a personal issue however. :p

Oh my lord, I just did. Thanks for reminding me. I don't know how I forgot that. I guess I was still thinking in MBP specs. Anyway, very nice. Makes me want the iMac even more now :cool:

Actually, no I did a massive remix project and it was only less than 2 gigs in size, including all sample stem files and bounces. I don't record bands or anything and the most recording I do are usually solo vocals or instruments. My primary work is in midi and composition so I utilize virtual instruments the majority of my work. I also have a massive sample library, but I keep those neatly tucked away on an external firewire drive.

However, even if i did record massive amounts of audio though, I still think it's a practical solution to run them off an external drive, one that I think is used by many recording musicians today. Just to have an SSD to boot off and run applications though is just a nice option to have.

I'm not that fine lol. I've been without a primary machine since Summer of 09 and don't get my wrong, I love this little machine, but it was only meant to serve as an extension to the primary machine; something i could go gigging with.

Yea, I've already drilled it in my head to wait for the '10 Mac Pros and see what my options are. Then if those cost a fortune again, plan B is to wait for the iMac, like you've suggested. I can see USB 3.0, but I feel Light peak is still at least a year off. I think I'll be looking at least until WWDC for that announcement however. It's just a painful waiting game :p

I know, everything that it has is very tempting. Yea, that screen is very beautiful. by the way, do you run an external monitor too or do you everything on your imac monitor? With a resolution that large, I doubt I would even need a second display.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

really? naww shucks :eek: :p i just like talking to people about stuff.. macs + talking = me happy, i guess.

damn! thats really not good for your musical development at all! but i guess it would teach you optimisation ;)

uh oh :eek: n00bie hour :rolleyes: ;) lol i do it all the time - quite often my iMac has a 1000MB HDD lol.

ok then thats fair enough. that file size is peuny :p

that option slipped my mind. good thinking! most of my uni friends do that, record their stuff directly to an external drive so its easier to transport etc.

thats a PITA. i think that the MPs prices will slightly go up, the new upgrades from intel arent exactly just a simple update. i wonder if apple will overhaul the design this time? that would raise the prices too. i think USB3.0 is a given for this ugrade, but LP as you said might wait a while.

i dont run an external monitor no, apple made it nice and hard to attach DVI monitors ;) i wouldnt want to go back to 1440x900, but i might just do that. could be getting a new job soon - interview on monday, that might allow me to get a 24" apple LED, or even a 30" if all goes to plan mwahahahahaha!!!

trust me though, i understand your pain! i have my CoreDuo MBP (saved 3 years for it!) + 19" monitor that i used to run as my main setup. virtual machines, final cut pro, safari + itunes + mail + adium + all the other stuff= VERY SLOW. haha

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hey nice to hear about the job opportunity. Good luck on that. Your master plan sounds like Mac heaven :)

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks man! its IT support with IBM, great starter job esp for a uni student! would solve all my financial problems lol!

take it easy mate.