iMac (27-inch) 3TB Hard Drive Replacement Program

Discussion in 'iMac' started by netutgamer, Jul 2, 2015.

1. netutgamer macrumors newbie

Recieved an email this morning from Apple highlighting a replacement program for the 3TB Fusion Drive in the 2012/2013 27" iMac.

The email links through to this page https://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/

Has anyone had experience with an Apple hard drive recall before?

Attached Files:

• imac.png
      imac.png
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a thread here discussing the recall. I believe it is 3TB hard drives though and not Fusion drives.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This isn't exactly an Apple hard drive recall. Rather, it's a recall for the Seagate Barracuda ST3000-series 3TB drives.

If you look it up, the Seagate 3TB drives have a notoriously high failure rate compared to other drives.

4. Dave245 macrumors 601

I've had the same email about an hour ago (here in the UK) i don't know if this is a serious issue because my iMac seems fine, however the problem i've got is that i can't take it to Apple because the nearest store is a few miles away and i don't drive, so taking a 27 iMac on public transport would not be possible.

5. Dave245 macrumors 601

I got sent the same email and mine is a 3TB Fusion drive

6. netutgamer thread starter macrumors newbie

My 27" imac has a Fusion drive, and checking my serial on the site confirms that I apparently need a new one. (apologies if I should have tacked it onto the other one)

Sorry kept my OP short...perhaps too short ;)

My question a little more regarding Apple hard drive recall. The instructions are to book an appointment with an Apple Authorized Service Provider or the Genius bar, where I assume they'll pop the case and swap the drive...So has anyone had any experience of this? Do I have to leave the machine? What happens to the old hard drive? What about all my data? And as good security practice would dictate...the only way to safely discard a hard drive is to smash it to bits, I wouldn't want my banking info surfacing from the old drive.

I'm glad they've emailed saying it needs to be done...but I need somewhere to put 2TB of data while they do it!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... that's odd because the site specifically calls out 3TB hard drive.

8. Dave245 macrumors 601

I've just called Apple and they have been very helpful, they are sending a courier to collect it tomorrow, I've had to back up my data. I will say one thing the customer service is brilliant!
    I'm hoping the hard drive is replaced with a new one and not a second hand one. But I can confirm this is also the 3TB Fusion drives I asked the Apple rep.

9. dhokes macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation in the UK. Planning to arrange for a courier to collect it but first I'm backing all my data up and also removing my additional RAM.

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm in the UK as well, they collected my iMac earlier today, however I was not told when I would be getting it back as it was a courier that collected it and not Amsys themselves.
    I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long.

It's not the process that worries me, it's some of the reviews and similar stories about Amsys that have me a little concerned, that's why I took photos of my iMac before it was boxed up and collected in case anything goes wrong.

11. Kate4u macrumors member

according to my experience , you don't need to do this .

12. dhokes macrumors regular

Ah right. Thanks

13. dhokes macrumors regular

Did you package the power cable as well or just the iMac body? Also, between what times of the day does the courier collect it e.g. 9am-6pm? And can you select a time-frame?

When I spoke to Apple, they said it could take 5-7 days depending on the service provider. I don't plan to arrange a pick up for a least a week whilst I organise/back up my data.

I plan to take many photos as well and if it's not returned in the condition I sent it, I will definitely raise it with Apple.

14. Dave245 macrumors 601

When I spoke with Amsys all they wanted is the iMac, no power cable or accessories. It was Apple who sorted it for me and I got a call back within 10 minutes from a lady at Amsys who arranged the day (next day I got) but they won't give a time except to say between 9am-5pm, then the courier arrives and collects it. I backed up my data using Time machine, Apple asked me on the phone about it anyway.

Yea it would be wise to take pictures just in case there are any issues. I've read other people's comments that they have computers back with scratches and other problems so keep a record and check the condition of your iMac when you get it back, that's what I intend to do.

15. dhokes macrumors regular

Ah, thanks. Hopefully you don't encounter any issues. Please do let me know the condition you get it back in.

16. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

3TB HDD's are part of fusion, most consumers would not differentiate, they're advertised as 3TB Fusion drives so wether stand alone or part of something else, they are still the same drives.

17. Kate4u macrumors member

Yes , You are right !

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

19. Dave245 macrumors 601

I will let you know when i get it back, a engineer from Amsys just phoned me to say that they have ordered the part and it should be with them tomorrow, so i'm hoping that i will get my iMac back by the end of the week. I also asked about the 3TB Fusion drive and he told me that they don't touch the 128GB SSD, they just replace the HDD and "fuse it back together" were his exact words. So i'm guessing its the HDD that's the problem part and not the SSD.

20. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Correct. The fusion occurs at the software level. So when you install OS X it will ask you (should you have an SSD+Mechanical HDD combination) if you want to create a fusion drive.

21. zootots macrumors newbie

After receiving notification from Apple that my 3TB hard drive should be replaced, I took my iMac into an Apple store this past Friday (7/3). When I arrived, the genius ran a hard drive testing application that takes approximately 15 minutes to run. They replace the hard drive if the test fails. My drive passed. I was told that about 25% of the tested drives are failing.

22. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Received the email, but when I entered my serial number, it says it's not part of the recall. I called Apple to confirm, and they said a few people received the emails that weren't affected.

23. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

Unfortunately my iMac is on the recall list but before I bring it in I just want to make sure I have my steps down...

First time having to bring it in so my plan is to do two backups of my drive using Time Machine.
    I have two separate 2TB external drives...
    Also going to run a snapshot of my VM Fusion and do a separate copy of any sensitive files, mostly financial.
    Once the backups are done I want to reset my iMac back to the original factory setup....
    Since I have Yosemite that I can download I'll make a boot disk, I have a 32GB USB flash drive
    Once I have the iMac back to factory, in it goes to Apple.
    Based on what I have read, once I have my iMac back all I need to do is reconnect my drive with the Time Machine backup, start up and do the recovery.

Let me know if there are any holes in this or if I missed something and appreciate any input.
    Thanks, Joe

24. Dave245 macrumors 601

Just had a call back from Amsys here in the UK and they have finished the "repair" and are planning on having my iMac returned tomorrow. I have to say that so far the service has been great, Apple organised the repair very quickly and Amsys have been in contact a couple of times to let me know what's been going on with my iMac. I will see tomorrow if my iMac arrives, so far so good.

25. Dave245 macrumors 601

Ok so my iMac has just arrived back, I have to say it was packaged well and despite the negative reviews of Amsys here in the UK they have done a great job. Fast service and my iMac has arrived back in the same condition it was sent out in, near perfect.

I'm just restoring from Time Machine backup.