Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
my iMac 27inch specs:
Monitor size/resolution: 27inch 2560 by 1440
CPU: 3.2 GHZ intel core i3
RAM: 12 GBM ram
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB

Has anyone here tried playing RE5 or Dead Space through bootcamp?
Any good or bad stories on performance?
Thanks

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
You're fine for both games. Dead Space will actually have decent frame rate at 2560, but I wouldn't play at that rez. I have a Apple HD 30" connected to my i7 PC these days and I game at 1680x1050 for most titles.

I own both games and beat both, but didn't play them through bootcamp, but on my actual PC.

Dead Space is way less demanding than RE5, but both engines work well on the PC and both should play fine at medium-high to max detail -- depending on the resolution and desired framerate.

For DeadSpace, there are a few things you'll want to do to get its control right on the PC, because the developers thought it would be OK to GIMP the mouse so that it behaves more like a gamepad -- which can be very frustrating.

In the game, you'll want to disable VSync. It locks the HZ to 30 -- which is asinine, because LCDs are generally 60 Hz and higher. This creates mouse latency, so leave that option off.

Now with NVidia, I can force it on via a control pannel from my desktop, but I'm not sure if ATI has the same option now days? If they do, you can reenable it from there, since it would set the Hz to your screen.

Another area that helps, is to use a good gaming mouse with on the fly DPI switching, because Dead Space slows down the mouse big-time when in Aim-Mode. I use a Logitech G9 and I simply bump up my mouse's speed when in this mode and it countered their crutch.

Dead Space is a really good game once the controls are wrangled -- I just hope that they DS2 doesn't have these intentional restrictions. It's way better than RE5 IMO, but mainly because Capcom drank way too much Gears of War Koolaid and basically took GoW and skinned it with Resident Evil.

To ramble further, you can also get RE4 for the PC, but it only supports a gamepad -- which for me is an issue, but maybe not for others. I prefer the the speed coupled with accuracy that a mouse offers.

AND, if you have never played System Shock, or System Shock 2, both games are on my tops list and the first Shock is by far one of the scarriest games I've played. Dead Space has shock value, but not real horror and Resident Evil 5 never really gest there, where as the prior RE4 had a few moments for me and is a much better game IMO.

Anyways, I'm rambling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.