Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Hi everyone

I got my iMac yesterday and I thought I was not a victim of the yellow of the yellow screen issues. I wasn't but I do have a rather annoying issue. There is a piece of dust under the screen :( :( it's not very large but is extremely bothersome. I was really looking forward to the 27 inch iMac. I love it, but now I'm upset. It was also a special custom build with a 512gb flash storage option. I am thinking of returning it, but should I?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Hi everyone

I got my iMac yesterday and I thought I was not a victim of the yellow of the yellow screen issues. I wasn't but I do have a rather annoying issue. There is a piece of dust under the screen :( :( it's not very large but is extremely bothersome. I was really looking forward to the 27 inch iMac. I love it, but now I'm upset. It was also a special custom build with a 512gb flash storage option. I am thinking of returning it, but should I?

Of course you should! Just call Apple support and tell them they should first send you a replacement and then you send them the current one. I had a similar experience with my iMac, but the first one had a thick pink vertical line in the middle of the display, so Apple replaced it as doa.

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Of course you should! Just call Apple support and tell them they should first send you a replacement and then you send them the current one. I had a similar experience with my iMac, but the first one had a thick pink vertical line in the middle of the display, so Apple replaced it as doa.

If I do that, would I get to keep the current computer until the new one arrives? Also, for this one, I should also have gotten 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB. Already used 4GB of it. So, can they send a different configuration? Or would I have to return and buy the new configuration?

Really would want 16GB RAM, and maybe 1TB Flash

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
If I do that, would I get to keep the current computer until the new one arrives? Also, for this one, I should also have gotten 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB. Already used 4GB of it. So, can they send a different configuration? Or would I have to return and buy the new configuration?

Really would want 16GB RAM, and maybe 1TB Flash

They will send an exact replica of the current mac. They will do that though only if they acknowledge that your mac is faulty. If not then you only have one option and that is to return the Mac and get a new one, configured as you wish.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suppose you have to decide if that dust mote will continue to annoy you…
If yes, then the answer is simple - Return it!

Hopefully, the replacement will be closer to perfect… :D

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Apple charges over $2000 for these things, unacceptable, first defective mac I have had.

Hopefully I can reorder one with NO defects But I LOVE the size of the 27 inch iMac. If it wasn't for the dust, it would be awesome So much better than my 2011 iMac 21.5 inch

RRF985

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
Also, does apple accept returns for defective products? Will they still refund me?

Return it for a replacement. My first iMac had a screen flaw. I sent it back and a week later I had another new one that was perfect. Its definitely worth returning.

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
This happened to me. It was a very noticeable piece of dust near the middle of the screen. I have no idea how it ever escaped even the laziest QA. I live within driving distance of an Apple store. Lugging the 27 in around town isn't fun, but after an hour at the Apple store it was cleaned up and hasn't had any dust problems since. So, either send it back or take it in (if convenient) but do not just accept it. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.