Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prbureau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
I'm looking for a solution to replace the graphic card on my iMac. The graphic card has just died. I spoke to Apple and they said it would take at least 8-10 weeks. Yikes too long! I run my business from that MAC so I can't wait that long and am looking for a quicker solution. The best solution I can find so far is a "tear down" at iFixit for the logic board on a similar model iMAC . It looks an advanced job but I have bought the right tools and I think I can remove the logic board based on their instructions. However they do not give any information on undertaking the graphic card replacement. Here is the spec of my iMAC:

iMac 27inch Model: EMC: 2429
Graphic Card AMD Radeon HD 6970M
3.4 Quad Core iMac core i7

I have already taken off the Screen and the LCD which was no problem at all. The next step would be to know what to do next. I could remove the logic board as shown here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2266+Logic+Board+Replacement/932

However I don't know how to replace the Graphic card.

Does anyone know if the Graphic card for this model is soldered onto the logic board?

Where would I be able to get replacement parts online?

If the graphic card is soldered onto the logic board for this model I think it would be best for me to buy a replacement logic board and graphic card together as a single unit. My soldering skills are not that good however removing the logic board is within my capabilities with the right kit (which I have bought)

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated.

thank you!

JB

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If you run your business, get another Mac for a backup. Or you could get a laptop and access the iMac's data from a clone backup. You do have backupS of your data, don't you?

prbureau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Hi, thanks for your feedback. I'm a freelancer so when I say business I mean my freelance work. I would rather try and fix this machine quickly as paying for a new machine is expensive.

Old-Wiz - yes I have a backup. I can access the data however the issue is I use the iMac for graphic work and you just can't do that type of work to the same standard on a cheap machine or a small screen. I need this machine. It also has my entire suit of programs installed (I have around 50 programs) which would take quite some time to configure and install on another machine.

I've looked at the 21.5 EMC GPU card replacement however that card does not resemble the AMD Radeon HD 6970M which is a considerably larger card and by a different manufacturer.

What I need to know definitively is if the AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphic card soldered to the logic board or not. I know with reading around some models are and some models are not. My model is the iMac EMC 2429.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I've looked at the 21.5 EMC GPU card replacement however that card does not resemble the AMD Radeon HD 6970M which is a considerably larger card and by a different manufacturer.

I know, but iFixit doesn't have a guide for a GPU replacement for the Mid-2011 27" iMac. The 21.5" iMac used a 6750M or 6770M which is an AMD GPU the same manufacture as your 6970M.

The GPU isn't soldered. If any chips would be soldered, it would be on the 21.5" model due to the smaller enclosure. Your Mid-2011 27" should be a similar process to the Mid-2011 21.5" iMac. There will probably be differences, but not much. The construction of the Mid-2011 iMac shouldn't have changed much since the design debuted in the Late 2009 iMac( you can see the teardown of the 27" model here).

prbureau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
OK thank you Guagmire based on your feedback I'm going to start to dismantle the machine.

Best regards

John

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I'm looking for a solution to replace the graphic card on my iMac. The graphic card has just died. I spoke to Apple and they said it would take at least 8-10 weeks. Yikes too long! I run my business from that MAC so I can't wait that long and am looking for a quicker solution. The best solution I can find so far is a "tear down" at iFixit for the logic board on a similar model iMAC . It looks an advanced job but I have bought the right tools and I think I can remove the logic board based on their instructions. However they do not give any information on undertaking the graphic card replacement. Here is the spec of my iMAC:

iMac 27inch Model: EMC: 2429
Graphic Card AMD Radeon HD 6970M
3.4 Quad Core iMac core i7

I have already taken off the Screen and the LCD which was no problem at all. The next step would be to know what to do next. I could remove the logic board as shown here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2266+Logic+Board+Replacement/932

However I don't know how to replace the Graphic card.

Does anyone know if the Graphic card for this model is soldered onto the logic board?

Where would I be able to get replacement parts online?

If the graphic card is soldered onto the logic board for this model I think it would be best for me to buy a replacement logic board and graphic card together as a single unit. My soldering skills are not that good however removing the logic board is within my capabilities with the right kit (which I have bought)

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated.

thank you!

JB

I hope you're sure the GPU is truly the problem.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Even so you should have a back up or a contingency fund. Cant tell me a 5 year old machine is full proof plan?

Im a graphic designer and photographer, have a Mac pro, i7 based PC, dell twin xeon workstation and a macbook. If anything happened essentially im covered in every direction.

Its not wise to place all your bets in one machine, if you had a clone of the drive and an apple laptop you could attach it to another screen and continue working as if nothing happened at least for just the shorterm

Sensible business decisions.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Even so you should have a back up or a contingency fund. Cant tell me a 5 year old machine is full proof plan?

Im a graphic designer and photographer, have a Mac pro, i7 based PC, dell twin xeon workstation and a macbook. If anything happened essentially im covered in every direction.

Its not wise to place all your bets in one machine, if you had a clone of the drive and an apple laptop you could attach it to another screen and continue working as if nothing happened at least for just the shorterm

Sensible business decisions.
sometimes there is a cascade of unforeseen wrong that happens in life that ends up consuming every bit of contingency. we never really recovered from the storm damage which consumed our savings and put us in obscene amounts of debt when insurance would not pay for the damage. its been catch-up (not ketchup) ever since. but catching up just gets further down the debt hole. Last night i had a nightmare I was fired from my minimum wage job.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
sometimes there is a cascade of unforeseen wrong that happens in life that ends up consuming every bit of contingency. we never really recovered from the storm damage which consumed our savings and put us in obscene amounts of debt when insurance would not pay for the damage. its been catch-up (not ketchup) ever since. but catching up just gets further down the debt hole. Last night i had a nightmare I was fired from my minimum wage job.

I feel for you.

At the end of the day you can’t run a business and offer service that you can’t deliver.

It’s not just setting the client up for a fall it’s your reputation going forward. You rarely hear success stories but frequently hear failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.