iMac 27 inch, late 2013 cannot install windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dr-zoidberg, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dr-zoidberg macrumors newbie

hi guys!
    my first post after long time lurking.
    I have an 27 inch late 2013 imac with mavericks, a superdrive and windows 8.1 dvd.

bootcamp doesn't recognize the windows dvd in the superdrive and wants me to install it via a usb drive.
    If I insert a usb stick it tells me I can only use the 64 bit version (which it is anyhow - I've read the thread with the workaround for that).

I've installed windows XP countless times on different macs, I often had problems but always managed it in the end. But now I'm completely stuck.

Is there simpler way to get bootcamp to work with my equipment?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it has something to do with your external DVD player. From what I saw on the google, many people are having difficulties.

3. dr-zoidberg thread starter macrumors newbie

I read something that one cannot install windows from external drives - but because it's apple hardware I thought there might be a way to convince windows that it is the proper drive.

4. xcodeSyn, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

I think you misunderstood that external DVD drives cannot be used for Windows Installation if the Mac has a factory-installed internal Superdrive, but you can certainly install Windows under Boot Camp using an external optical drive if your Mac doesn't come with an internal Superdrive. You just need to make sure that the option to create a USB installation is unselected in the Boot Camp Assistant before moving to the next step as explained in this link.

5. dr-zoidberg thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks I finally got it working.
    the superdrive seems to be incompatible therefore I created an Image of the Windows DVD with harddisk utility. then I used 2 usb sticks.
    bootcamp gives you three choices. 1 usb stick for the first tick, a second one for the second tick and a lot of time to create the startup usb drive with the help of the DVD image.