iMac 27 inch Late 2013 Image Retention issue.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JawneeWin, Dec 9, 2014.

1. JawneeWin macrumors 6502

I purchased this iMac about a few months ago, and noticed that there was some sort of image retention whenever I would leave my screen on a page for a certain amount of time.

It is really frustrating especially when working on projects and such, and I'm stuck with a pinkish overlay of what was previously on my screen.

I did an Image Retention test from here: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

It says to leave it on for 10 minutes, but I left it on for only 5 minutes.
    Here are my results:
    Before: [​IMG]
    After: [​IMG]

The "ghosting" would stay there for about an hour or more.
    So do you think it is defective and qualify for a replacement? or is it normal and everyone's iMac has it?

Also, I have a small dent on the bottom of my iMac.
    Image here: [​IMG]

Will they use this as an excuse for it causing the image retention? I did some research online and people said that Apple uses LCD screens from LG and Samsung. People who have LG screens seemed to be the only iMacs with Image retention problems.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your not happy with it, take it back. There's nothing you can do AFAIK, that can "fix" the issue.

Tbh, I didn't really see any ghosting in the picture.

3. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll do a full 10 minutes and show you.

4. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

This is ten minutes: [​IMG]

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Definitely ghosting, definitely a hardware issue, definitely need to get it repaired. I don't think the dent will impact the warranty repair as it's unlikely to have compounded the issue. Nonetheless even if it will be a chargeable repair the Apple Store will let you know that before going ahead with anything -- they wouldn't hold the iMac hostage until you paid, so to speak.

TL;DR: take it to an Apple Store if it's still under warranty. You can check your warranty by typing your serial number in here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

6. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your assurance. I read a thread on Apple about this issue with over 600 pages regarding this, and most of them were replaced or repaired. I will definitely take this into the store as soon as I can. Thankfully, I bought AppleCare *fingers crossed*

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see it now, its definitely more pronounced. As I mentioned, since you're not happy with it, I'd call apple and get it replaced.

8. tatty27 macrumors 6502

tatty27

I thought this was an issue with the retina displays, especially the ones using the LG screens. My late 2012 rMBP started doing it a while back and slowly has gotten worse to the point where I if I reboot the machine I can still see what was on the screen before the reboot.

After chatting to Apple support I am taking it in to get looked at.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nice one buddy. May be best to make a booking beforehand because they can be awfully busy -- especially if you're carting in an iMac it'd be a PITA if they said 'come back tomorrow'! :D

Apple have the best consumer support of all the computer companies I've ever encountered, so don't worry too much; I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sort it out for you. :)

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you have applecare you won't have any issues at all.

11. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

They denied a replacement :(

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Huh? They wouldn't repair it?

13. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

They said they "tested" it and did not find any issues. They then told me to bring it back home and if anything happens again, to bring it back in and they'll replace the screen right away. The night before, I chatted apple showing 5 pictures of proof of the ghosting. I even showed the guy the image of ghosting from apples chat window. I then went to the Apple store in the morning and the store said that my "chat log" was not on their system. So I decided to get Smart with them and call apple care. It turns out, it actually was on there and they lied. I was eventually transferred to a superior on the phone and he said that particular apple store was crap and that he was going to call the store and "escalate" the problem. So their phone rang and the manager and the guy who helped me spoke to him and now I'm literally in the store right now waiting for feedback. The superior said he was going to try to replace the entire imac and if they deny it then he will create a hassle and make them send it out. Also, as I'm typing this, the manager just looked and me and rolled his eyes.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Sounds very disappointing. Is that an official Apple store you're at or is it a third party Repair Centre? Pretty crummy attitude for them to have.

15. powerslave65 macrumors regular

I thought if you leave any hi contrast image on a screen for a good long while it will always cause some temporary ghosting? Isn't that what a screen saver and display sleep function is designed to remedy?

:apple:

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

My iMac did get the exact same kind of retention as yours. Over a day of work the screen was filled with blue leftovers. I called apple and they replaced the screen without hesitation. If you are able to reproduce it again just go back and say that you won't accept working on a less than 2 years old "expensive" machine which has image retention. And if they can't reproduce it they clearly haven't spent 5 minutes trying. It amazes me that apple don't know how to reproduce a problem which 100s of imac owners have.

17. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

5 minutes isn't a good long while though, and the image burnt into the screen for 10 minutes isn't quite temporary ghosting. It's not really an issue because the AppleCare means they should get an immediate repair/replacement. The real tragedy of this story is that the OP had such a ballache getting it sorted. Disappointing as Apple's customer service should be better in this instance.

18. JawneeWin, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

Update from earlier today.

So they told me that if I could replicate the problem, they wouldn't have a problem with replacing the screen for me. They were not able to replicate the problem with the screen persistence test that they do. HOWEVER, I opened up a few windows and left it here for a few minutes, and long and behold - it was there. After having him show it, he went again and did the SAME persistence test 4 times, and made me wait. After more tests, he confirmed that it actually does happen. After he witnessed the replication of the problem, he then went and tried it on another iMac in their store. He came back to us about 5 minutes later and told me that because it happened to the one in the store, they will have to refuse to fix or replace it because it meets Apple's "specification". He then later stated that he heard of this issue before and that some iMacs have it, and some don't. I asked him "If you had to pick which you'd rather own, would you own one with this problem or one without?" he told me he'd rather have the one without the problem. I then told him that if he's favoring one device over another, when he acts like the problem is okay then there obviously is a problem. I even asked him that if I could bring in 5 iMacs without the issue that if they would consider repairing mines. They still said no. I was checked into the Genius Bat at 8:00AM and I was there since 1:00PM.

The superior that I was on the phone with earlier gave me his extension and number. He told me that the problem is currently being escalated, and based on the pictures we gave him, they will determine if I have to send mines in. He also says that I have excellent proof of the problem, and that they will have to do mail in service for a whole entire new iMac replacement.

I've spent well over $10,000 at that particular Apple Store in a little less than two years, and they'd rather lose a customer than satisfy a customer with a problem that was addressed, and proven. The person that tried to help me at the store was some completely different guy, and I had to explain and replicate the problem all over again, which was why I was stuck there all day. The manager completely ignored me and went on his way with other customers. Also, the superior on the phone told the manager to email him the picture of the ghosting on the iMac screen that was happening, and he sent him a glared pictures of the iMac, which was pointless.

That Apple store needs to stick with what they say instead of changing different things up every time I prove something to them that they think I can't. Let me also note that my case number said that my screen would be replaced if I could physically show them that ghosting does exists. The superior on the phone asked the store to replace my unit for me and they even refused it. I even asked them to replace the screen and if it did in fact happen again, then I wouldn't ask for another replacement service - they even denied that.

So now I'm hoping the superior I was on the phone with will solve this issue. Fingers crossed.

Here's a google link to the store: https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+store+cherry+hill&oq=apple+store+cherr&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.3228j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x89c6cbad4ca521a1:0xfed7d60615898c4f,1

It has a 3.3 star rating, and almost all the negative reviews, I can relate to.

19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

It's there, but faint.

OP, was image retention a problem, or did you go looking for it with that checkerboard test? Just curious.

----------

Wow, that is awful. He rationale was that since another iMac in the store had the same problem, it must be OK?

20. JawneeWin thread starter macrumors 6502

That's basically what his rationale was. Also, I always noticed it, but it got worse. Watching videos, and everything else. I would watch youtube videos and see Youtube's front page on the videos. It's pretty hard to ignore.

Apple Care is investigating my case, and the superior on the phone is going to call on Wednesday and let me know what they're going to do about it. Even if they don't fix it, I'm still happy that the guy on the phone is at least trying to do something about it, instead of the Apple Store.

21. powerslave65 macrumors regular

I agree customer service should be job 1. Point taken. User error though is something that happens a lot with computers and there is a range of operating behavior that is normal because use varies quite a bit.

From a completely abstract point of view, The PR that Apple puts out there for it's products is so out of this world compared to the reality that it's a just an aluminum box with a display cpu and hard drive that I can imagine how people can be downright crabby after paying so much money.

22. Astelith macrumors regular

I had similar issue but with shadowing on my 2011 imac, a screen saver with a white screen has solved my problem, try to leave a white image (so set a white image in the screensaver and disable monitor shut down) for all the night and this should fix or heavily reduce the issue, and if persist leave it overnight until it goes.
    I've tried everything and this solved my problem, give it a try, it's free ;)