iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) w/SSD has HDD brackets?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nadia p., Dec 10, 2013.

1. nadia p. macrumors newbie

Greetings, I wondered if someone could help me. I purchased a new iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) with the Apple SSD and before I go through the trouble of opening it up (cutting the tape) to install a 3.5-inch HDD I wanted to see if anyone knew if the brackets that hold the HDD are inside or not.

If not does anyone know where to buy them since I don't see any spare parts listed for this model on iFixIt or anywhere else.

I don't have that much space and I'd prefer to install a 2nd HDD inside rather than having to mount an external disk. I'm quite surprised that Apple doesn't offer an option to include a 2nd disk for custom builds.

Thanks in advance for your help! ;)

2. JoeTheZombie macrumors newbie

You'll also need the SATA and power cable. Nobody knows for sure if the SATA connector is on the logic board or not, but I'd assume it is.

There's also the question of a thermal sensor and/or specialty firmware on the SATA drive.

I have no answers, but I'm interested in this as well. Currently have an external drive I'd like to replace with an internal on my 512 SSD only.

3. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I don't have an answer for you but are you sure the HDD is 3.5" in the 27" model? I was under the impression it was a 2.5" but now I can't find a tangible source to confirm. Do investigate and let us know. Good luck with the upgrade.

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

2.5 in 21", not 27"

5. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Alright, good to know! Thanks :).