iMac 27 inch Screen discolored

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jnardis, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I've had my iMac for about 4 months now and I just recently noticed that the screen in the upper right hand quarter is discolored. It looks like they're dark clouds over the screen, most noticeable when there is a white background (I.e. internat page).

Has anyone else had this problem? Would this fall under warranty? Is there a 1 year warranty on Apple products?

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Yes they should come with a 1 year warranty be default.

3. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Hi there, yes all Apple products come with a years warranty called 'Apple Care' discolouration was relatively common on the first genertation 27" iMacs, Apple resolved this by replacing the LCD panels in the computers that were affected.

Either call up Apple care or take the iMac into your local Apple store and book an appointment with a genius to show them the problem.

4. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for both replies. I believe this is the newest imac, I'm not sure which generation. I'm going to book an appointment right now.

5. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Your 2010 model is the second revision but the principle is the same, if the LCD is faulty (sounds like it is). Apple will have a look at it and fix the fault whether its the LCD or the GPU etc.

6. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I brought the computer to a near by Apple store where they performaned a test on the entire machine. Not only was my screen messed up which they said they would fix under warranty they also found out that my fan was not wroking properly which was making the computer extra hot. Thank god this was all under the first year warranty.

All in all my iMac is flawless when it comes to proccessing. I even think that Windows works better on Mac than on my other Dell/HP computers.

7. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Glad they have sorted it all for you! This is why I tend to purchase the 3 year Apple care, with replacement parts being so expensive and labour as well it often pays for itself.

Yes, interestingly I have also had my best Windows experiences on Macs!

8. blue2noise macrumors regular

Looks like I have the some problem with mine. Do they do it same day, or will I be without a mac for a week?

9. Entourage12 macrumors member

If they have to replace the screen and don't have it in stock it can take much longer. I recently got my screen replaced, took 14 business days to complete. Originally they said 3-5 days for the screen to deliver and another 3-5 days for the actual repair, maybe I was just unlucky.

10. timtom33 macrumors member

How does the new screen look?

11. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

This is pretty normal, many iMacs get this. Get it repaired under warranty and get AppleCare (3-years warranty), since the problem is likely to return. I had my 24" iMacs screen replaced 4 times within 3 years, and I have seen this on many other glass-iMacs as well.

Edit: It might be that they refuse to repair it because for Apple, this is considered "normal wear and tear", as I was told by a local Mac Shop, but if you speak calmly but persistent with them you should get the repair. This also might not happen I just wanted to warn you just in case.