iMac 27 inch with i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pectin232, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

Using Photoshop, Aperture ... anyone has 2 iMacs with both an i5 and i7? and noted of the differences in performances? between the 2? Will increase memory be better or i7 Upgrade which cost about $200+. Probably will get the base 4gb memory and order the 16gb upgrade from OWC and do it myself. Is the 2TB still noisy orshould I get the 1tb and less noisy with the 256gb SSD + 1TB? Just a final thought before I order this week. i7 or i5? 1tb or 2TB [noisy]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt seriously you'd notice any difference in day-to-day use.

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I can't compare 2 iMacs but what I can say is that my 2.7 i5 with 12gb of ram is definitely beefy enough for anything you throw at it in Aperture/PS. Applying changes in Aperture is almost instant.

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Ditto

5. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Ditto. I bought my iMac in May 2011 and went back and forth on whether to get the i5 or the i7. Mostly due to what I reason this forum, I finally decided that, for me at least, it wasn't worth the extra $500 (minimum) to move from an i5 to an i7. Now that I have the i5, I am very happy that I didn't waste my money on the i7. For me it would have been a waste because the i5 does everything I need it to do and then some. Maybe if I was into large volumes of high-end video rendering, I might have needed the i7, but for the video editing I do, and everything else I do (handbrake for example), the i5 shines! I have not once felt that I made a bad decision. I did upgrade to 12 GB by adding $50 of OWC RAM.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

it wasn't worth the extra $500 (minimum) to move from an i5 to an i7.

Another way to look at these savings is to sell you iMac sooner vs later and use that savings to upgrade to the latest models/CPU... in 2 years instead of 3 or 4. This way you stay on top of the latest features and benefits and also get apple care with each new version. I'm a fan of base models, assuming they have enough power for my needs - which includes Photoshop/Aperture, and then upgrade the RAM myself (or in the case of a MBP, the hard drive as well).