Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I've just this afternoon put in an order for a €2000 27" iMac for my Mum, scheduled to arrive 25-28 August.

I have 14 days after delivery to return, if necessary, if I change my mind.

I'm starting to wonder if I bought right at the end of the cycle and a new one might come out a few days after the 14 days are up, given that the Apple iPhone event is on Sep 9.

For me, I would normally wait until right after a new model is available, to avoid buyer's remorse, but we don't want to risk waiting 6 months in this case, because she has a job which will be finished by that time, for which this new computer will really make a big difference.

This current model will be easily powerful enough for her, but obviously we would like to have the most up-to-date model for future compatibility especially. Cost is more important than power. What do you guys think? What might change in the new model if there is one? And when is the most likely date for a release?

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Sounds like there is a current need for the computer, obviously you determined the unit was appropriate for the job. Nothing in the next upcoming update should make an appreciable difference.

I think you did right, if in two weeks reputable information comes out that the update will be ground breaking then return it on the last day and sit it out if you have to.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Sounds like there is a current need for the computer, obviously you determined the unit was appropriate for the job. Nothing in the next upcoming update should make an appreciable difference.

I think you did right, if in two weeks reputable information comes out that the update will be ground breaking then return it on the last day and sit it out if you have to.

If it's just an incremental update, it definitely won't matter at all. Thanks for the advice.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
If it's just an incremental update, it definitely won't matter at all. Thanks for the advice.

Just my opinion. If you're Mom needs the iMac I think it's fine that you bought it. If there would be an iMac update, it's new and still untested and yes, the difference in speed and features might just be minor. Whenever Apple comes out with a new model, I would always wait it out for a few months before deciding to buy so as to check for user feedbacks and comments.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Return before the 14 days end > Buy the same Mac again > Return before the 14 days end > Buy the same Mac again > Return before… you get the point. :D

I don't know if that's possible, however… but you could try it, your chances are higher if you buy it at a different store each time haha.

Then, when the new iMac comes out, you keep it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.