iMac 27" (Late 09 i7) SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by John Clay, Aug 22, 2011.

1. John Clay macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my iMac to an SSD, by replacing the ODD with an HDD caddy.

The iMac:

Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 (iMac11,1)

I've looked at the service manual, and noticed that there's a bracket on the ODD to connect to the chassis.

This is the caddy I'm looking at:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Laptop-1...ge_Internal&hash=item2a082434e9#ht_3877wt_928

It appears to be the proper size (I've already replaced the ODD in my MacBook Pro with the 9.5mm model from the same seller). I'm thinking that the bracket would screw into the caddy.

Has anyone else done this upgrade?

I haven't been able to find any well-documented upgrades to late 2009 iMacs.

Many thanks,
    John

2. zzoebl macrumors newbie

Hi John,

Was this indeed what you were looking for? I want to do the same thing with my Late 2009 i7.

Thanks

3. John Clay thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure - I never got around to doing the mod. Not sure if I will now - thinking of a Mac Pro.

4. zzoebl macrumors newbie

5. John Clay thread starter macrumors newbie

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

7. zzoebl macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Now I have a Crucial M4 128GB instead of the useless super-drive. It was quite daunting removing the screen, I recommend buying high quality tweezers for the LED backlight sync cable. Anyway, the install went just as I hoped (did it yesterday, so I'm still crossing my fingers that everything will remain in working condition). The only snag I ran into was that one of the alignment holes in the caddy I linked, did not match so I had to use my hobby knife to "fix" it.

All in all, $20 for that caddy is definitely worth it and it's like having a new computer, the performance difference is huuuge.