iMac 27" Late 2009 Display Problems!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seme332, Oct 30, 2013.

1. seme332 macrumors regular

seme332

Hey Guys!

I have a Late 2009 27" iMac. The machine has been doing great over the years but now I have noticed something weird... There is a dark cloudy spot appearing a little right from the middle and also there are very thin (1px I'd say) lines running from bottom to top (moving) over the screen?!

Anyone else having this issue and anyone knows what to do?

There is NO warranty on the iMac anymore appereantly :/

Thanks!!!

Sebastian

Cloudly Spot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the weird lines:

[​IMG]

(Sorry that the pictures are upside down... I think you get the idea...)

2. wheels2040 macrumors newbie

I am getting a similar cloudy spot to the left of center on my Late 2009 27" iMac. Sometimes it is more visible, and sometimes it is not even there.

3. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Just a thought, regarding the cloudy patches, have you cleaned the glass? It's pretty easy to pull off with your fingernails from the top, then give it a wipe with some good quality glass cleaner, dirt does build up in there, my 2008 Mac is like a new display since I cleaned it!!

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

If your a wimp:p

----------

I had the same kinda thing happen to me. A cloud of dust got inside the actual LCD. The LCD is like a sandwich. The actual glass (LCD) bit and three plastic sheets (don't know the proper names for them).

It got so bad I ended up replacing the LCD myself.
    I bought one the same as this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Apple-iMac-27-LG-LCD-Panel-661-5527-LM270WQ1-SD-A2-Late-2009-A-Grade-Pull-/221249850368?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item338384cc00

6. seme332 thread starter macrumors regular

seme332

Well, I clean the Display from the outside once in a while and this doesn't seem to be an issue of dirt or dust to me. When you look at it, it's right on the LCD :/

7. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

You only really need suction cups on the iMacs where the glass doesn't go right up to the edge of the casing(e.g. the 20/24" models). With the later ones you can just pull it from the top edge, it swings down then lifts out.

8. seme332 thread starter macrumors regular

seme332

I cleaned the glass from the in and outside today to see if that would help but no good :(... I can't clean the LCD itself, can I? I mean, its probably veeery sensitive, thatswhy I am asking...

9. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Yes you can clean the LCD no problem. You usually have to after any major maintenance of the internals as it inevitably gets dirty.