Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ge2kaslt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Hello all! So I have late 2009 27' imac, running ati 4850 vga. lately vga started to throw out artifacts after sometime of playing or doing video editing, so I think my vga is dying... Tried to reset PRAM, didn't help, worked fine for a half an hour, but after playing diablo 3 for a few mins artifacts appeared again, same in bootcamp.
So I thinking of upgrading my vga to ati 6970m, but for an apple branded card price is insane. I was thinking, maybe its possible to reflash vga cards BIOS to apple bios? Because you can get a 6970m from dells alienware for a half price of apple. Maybe somebody tried it? thank!

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Unfortunately, I've yet to come across information for flashing MXM cards to Apple firmware... despite a lot of searching. :eek:

ge2kaslt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Unfortunately, I've yet to come across information for flashing MXM cards to Apple firmware... despite a lot of searching. :eek:

I think its not that popular, like lets say flashing vga cards for hackintosh, but any way, its possible to flash mxm cards for laptops. Also you can download apple bios files from techpowerup dot com for 6970m, just interesting is it possible and how to flash them.

So as far as I know, if the card not from apple you cant see a boot screen, its not a problem for me at least, but how to select windows(bootcamp) to boot? Also I have found really nice deals for non-apple branded 5870m cards, but they have never been available for imac from apple, interesting would it work?

Also wrote an email to local apple dealer, just curious how much did he charge for replacing card...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.