iMac 27" (late 2009) vs. brand new MBA 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by realmadrid2727, Aug 31, 2012.

1. realmadrid2727, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

realmadrid2727 macrumors newbie

Here's my situation: I now have 3 Macs and only need 1.

My original one is a Mac Pro (MacPro1,1) which is a bit dated now and I'm currently selling. I decided I'd get a MBA which I just bought 31 days ago, it's a 13" i5 with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. I figured I'd just sell the Mac Pro and use the Air as my everyday computer hooked up to the monitor I've been using with my Mac Pro.

However, I came upon a 27" iMac (late 2009) in what can only be described as impeccable condition for $500. Only reason I bought it was because I thought the price was a steal, and I planned on selling it to make a profit but now that I'm using it, it's pretty damn nice. 4 GB RAM (updating to 12 with an 8 GB pack from Crucial is only like $43), 256 GB video, 1 TB HDD, etc.

I'm wondering, should I sell the MBA and monitor and keep the iMac as my everyday or is the MBA a better machine with the i5 processor? Portability isn't really much of an issue for me since I don't really travel with a laptop. Also, I'm not really a gamer so graphics don't matter much in any case.

At this point I'm just asking which machine you'd keep if portability wasn't a factor.

EDIT - Wanted to say that my primary uses are professional. I'm a software developer the most intensive software I use is Mathematica. I also use Logic Studio as a hobby.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you like having more screen real estate then stick with the iMac. Otherwise, I'd keep the MBA since it's newer and is also portable for those occasions when it would matter.

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

if money is no concern ie you don't need to sell it.
    I would keep both of them, since you said you use the computers for professional reason = making money.

having more than one computers / mac really helps a lot when one is in need of a repair. I've been in a situation where my primary machine (the mbp) can't boot and have to go in repair for about 1-2 weeks, and only have my PC at the time. I was having huge downtime because needed to setup and find similar software that was on my mac for the pc.

so yeah, I would suggest keeping both.

4. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Keep the iMac and the Air. Sell the Pro and the monitor.