Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaxes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Hi

My iMac died on me last week.
It's been a bit flakey for a couple of years but has always come back.
I have 3tb hybrid drive (this was replace by apple about 7/8 years ago due to a hard drive failure)

Now every time I try to log in the iMac crashes and reboots.

I can't get it to boot into safe mode, recovery mode, I have Reset SMC, I have Reset NVRAM or PRAM and It won't load a OS usb stick.
Safe mode, recovery mode and Booting up with a OS USB stick all get to about 50% on the apple logo and the get stuck there.

I can get onto Single-User Mode but this stalls when trying to run any diagnostics.
I can run target mode, the iMac hard drive comes up and I can pull content from the iMac with no issues.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next and hoping someone has any ideas?

Thanks

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Booting up with a OS USB stick all get to about 50% on the apple logo and the get stuck there.
Could be a few things, logic board failure, GPU failure, or maybe the Fusion Drive.

Failing internal drives can sometimes cause boot issues, even when booting from a separate external drive.

vaxes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Sounds a little more complicated then I was hoping it would be.
Is there anything I can do to narrow down what it could be?

I was hoping because target mode worked, that the hard drive might not be a complete write off.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it will boot into safe mode (and by "boot", I mean boot to a login screen and then the finder), that seems to be indicating a failure of the discrete graphics (assuming it has that).

Reason:
A safe boot "bypasses" the discrete graphics card and uses the CPU's "integrated graphics" instead.

This might also indicate why, when you run diagnostics, it fails -- because when the diagnostics tries to access the discrete graphics -- it can't.

It sounds like the internal fusion drive is still functional.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Do you have a backup?

My advice:
Bite the bullet
Make sure you're backed up
Don't put any money into a 12-year-old iMac
Start shopping for a replacement.

I'd suggest a 2023 Apple-refurbished Mac Mini m2pro model, along with a 27" 4k display.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Booting up with a OS USB stick all get to about 50% on the apple logo and the get stuck there.
What version of Mac OS is your "OS USB stick"? 2012 iMac supports Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - 10.15 Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.