iMac 27" late 2012 with dual TB displays

Discussion in 'iMac' started by needfx, Dec 16, 2012.

1. needfx, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

hi all,

I have been scouring the web & MR forums to see if a late 2012 iMac 27" supports dual TB displays.

As per Apple website, it supports up to one external 30" monitor, but honestly, I cant really believe how the previous iMac could support dual TB and the latest BTO beast cannot.

----
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display
    Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes
    Support for Target Display Mode via the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable (sold separately)
    ----

Any ideas or already operational setups?

cheers

--edit--

even the MBA11 with HD4000 supports dual TB displays for crying out loud

Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

2. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

3. JVo macrumors newbie

How are you reading that spec from the MBA as dual Thunderbolt displays? It just says you can have internal and external displays on simultaneously, no different from iMac.

I would expect you could drive at least 2 externals from iMac if this is possible on MBP retina:
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/53759/how-many-external-displays-can-i-power-with-the-15-retina-macbook-pro

4. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

you are right, I skimmed through that spec without paying attention, but I've read it elsewhere regarding the mba that it could support two TB displays

5. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx