iMac 27" Late 2015 - Is it possible to activate the Intel HD Graphics 530?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Erdbeertorte, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Hey,

I would like to test how slow that iGPU really is.

Since it's not listed in the System Report, there are no drivers for it installed or it is deactivated somehow, because it would be very slow on a 5K screen.

Could I maybe modify or install some kext file or whatever to activate it?

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

3. Erdbeertorte thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

No, I don't use Boot Camp. I know it's very slow, that's why it is disabled in OS X. But it's a good idea to use another OS to test it. Thanks!

4. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Did you consider that the video output of the i5 (likely display port meant to go to a LCD panel) has not been connected on the motherboard ?

27" iMacs use a discrete GPU connected via PCIx to the i5. The LCD panel is connected to this GPU, not the i5. Meaning you never can use/test the iGPU.

On a Macbook it's done differently, the LCD panel can be either driven from the iGPU or the discrete GPU.

5. Erdbeertorte thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Yes I considered that there is not even a connection to the display for the iGPU.

I just installed a Windows 10 Enterprise 90 days trial to check it and it is also not even listed there. Maybe the BootCamp drivers prevented that and I could try it with a driver from the Intel website.

But I think you are right and it won't work. Also it's not so important. I was just curious if that GPU is able to drive a 5K monitor in a usable way.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's not. Basically apple designed the iMac to only use the dGPU